Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

When to winterize?

I live in SE WI and have always winterized my own TT. I usually use it until the end of November for hunting, when we can have consistent temps at or below freezing. I usually winterize when we are forecasted to have nights below freezing, which is coming soon. Would I be able to wait unitl it is consistently below freezing, such as, all day long. The reason I ask is because when I use the TT for hunting in November, I usually have already winterized by then, and thus, do not use the water system anymore. Am I being overly cautious? Can I wait to winterize until it is really cold day in and day out, or should I be doing it when we have night after night of temps in the mid 20's? I don't want to risk damage to the water system, but I also don't want to "shut it down" too early, if I could still be using it.
tony4pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

Nobody wants "to shut it down too early", but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. IMHO if you're not going to use the water system anymore might as well winterize it now and get it over with. One less thing to do later, and you won't be taking any chances of anything going wrong if you do get consistent nights in the 20's.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:12 AM   #3

If I understand your questions, it sounds like you are wanting to use the TT with water for hunting. If you are storing your TT with water before hunting you will need to provide heat to keep things from freezing. Once the temp gets to a below freezeing all day long you are taking a risk. My thoughts are its not worth the risk to let your water lines or waste valve freeze.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I also live in SE WI (between Milwaukee and Madison). I winterize in October, but since I typically drain the water system after a trip, I really don't think it's dangerous UNTIL we get freezing temps that carry over into the daylight. I would blow out the lines and/or use RV antifreeze before that.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote