Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Where are my low point drains?

Sorry to add to all the other winterizing threads... just wanted to drop this question in, since it is a specific step that is not mentioned much.

So... where are the low point drains (if I have them) on my '08 Wildwood 32BHDS? Admittedly I have not crawled EVERYTHING upside down beneath my rig, but I looked around the other plumbing access locations (tank dump valves on driver side, and fresh water drain on passenger side) and did not see any other drains.

My old motorhome had the low point drains near the rear, just past (underneath) the outside shower hose. I don't have an outside shower on this trailer, so I'm thinking these drains have to be mid-rig somewhere.

My manual is no help (they rarely are)... in the winterizing section, one of the steps just states "Open Low Point Drains" and gives no indication as to where they can be found.

Thanks!
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #2

Disregard... found 'em! Compressed air winterizing is under way. A nice today and a flashlight will solve a lot of "under the RV" problems.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #3

OK, what are these? I see two red & blue tubes underneath (really hidden, didn't know they were there) they are capped, no valves to turn. I've already winterized (although
my freshwater tank now has AF in it! - I'll have to flush out next spring!) or so I thought.
I didn't do anything with these last year (because I didn't know that they existed) and everything seemed to work out.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas451 View Post
OK, what are these? I see two red & blue tubes underneath (really hidden, didn't know they were there) they are capped, no valves to turn. I've already winterized (although
my freshwater tank now has AF in it! - I'll have to flush out next spring!) or so I thought.
I didn't do anything with these last year (because I didn't know that they existed) and everything seemed to work out.
Those red and blue tubes are your low point drains. You may have gotten lucky last year. If nothing else, you've diluted your AF by not draining all the water out.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #5

Right, those capped tubes are the low point drains as I discovered. The water PAST all the faucets (that didn't go down the drain) goes in that low piping, which can and should be drained before winterizing. When you remove the caps, the remaining water will spill out.

Depending on where you live and how cold it gets, I'd recommend draining those low point outlets and running more antifreeze through your system. Or you can go with the compressed air method like I did. Either way, there is probably quite a bit of water left in there, that might freeze and expand up your water lines... causing potential plumbing damage.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

You may be able to open the drains briefly until pink antifreeze runs then close them. That way you would know they are full of antifreeze not water. That will pull a bit out of the upper system but don't let more than say 1 cup out if you can. That's what I did after finding the drains the dealer didn't find. All pink in there, luckily.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
You may be able to open the drains briefly until pink antifreeze runs then close them. That way you would know they are full of antifreeze not water. That will pull a bit out of the upper system but don't let more than say 1 cup out if you can. That's what I did after finding the drains the dealer didn't find. All pink in there, luckily.
X2, get the water out and more pink stuff if needed.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

OK, Maybe that's where all or some of my AF went. I put about 4 gallons in but the pump
wouldn't pull it out (I might've used 6 gallons last year) so I went with the air method.
My neighbor helped me who used to own an RV park and used to winterize alot of rigs as one of the services that he offered. I was also told that the lines being plastic can/will expand to a point with out breaking, and that it is mainly the fixtures that you want to protect. But I will uncap those lines and see what I get. Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It is ok to let all the antifreeze to drain out. The lines don't have to be full to be protected. Also, if you have tank flushes, make sure you blow those lines out. If water is trapped in your anti-siphon valves, you will be replacing come spring time. Ask me how I know. :
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #10

Well, ok. Uncapped the two - a very small amount ran out of the blue and seemed to be
pink. An even smaller amount ran out of the red tube, and I don't know if it was AF or just water. In either case not much came out of the two tubes.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #11

Hmmm. It should have run pink but if a faucet wasn't opened there could have been an air lock so to speak. Sounds ok as at least there's no pure water sitting in the low point. What do others think?

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 11-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would open a faucet (hot and cold) and see what comes out. The fact that mostly pink came out is a good sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #13

Yep, went inside and opened faucets in kitchen and bath, still not much came out. Maybe a couple of dribbles............so other than that AF that is probably sitting in the fresh water tank which I'll drain and flush next spring......I think I'm OK. I took out the anode rod and plug on the water heater and just leave it out until next spring as well.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Here is a good product for cleaning the system next spring, however if you can get to the intake side of your water pump next year, you can winterize with only one gallon.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #15

Quote:
OK, Maybe that's where all or some of my AF went. I put about 4 gallons in but the pump
wouldn't pull it out (I might've used 6 gallons last year) so I went with the air method.
My neighbor helped me who used to own an RV park and used to winterize alot of rigs as one of the services that he offered. I was also told that the lines being plastic can/will expand to a point with out breaking, and that it is mainly the fixtures that you want to protect. But I will uncap those lines and see what I get. Thanks for all your help!
I suspect you pumped A/F into your water heater tank or the F/W tank if you used that much to get the job done.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Here is a good product for cleaning the system next spring, however if you can get to the intake side of your water pump next year, you can winterize with only one gallon.
Sorry pic didn't post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448592604017.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	95101  

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain