Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #1

Where does the galley grey water go?

Not exactly the best title for this thread, but here's the deal. Just bought a brand new Wildwood 32BHDS - used it for the first time this weekend. The trailer has three waste water tanks - a galley tank for the kitchen, a black tank, and another grey tank for the bathroom. In using it this weekend, we discovered that all of the grey water (including from the galley/kitchen sink) was draining into the grey tank for the bathroom. None of it was going into the galley grey tank - thus my bathroom grey tank filled very quickly, while the galley one remained empty all weekend. I was never shown a bypass valve (if it exists) during the walkthrough of this unit when I bought it. I crawled under it looking for some way that the grey water would be diverted from the galley tank to the rear grey tank. I am stumped. I am going to call the dealer, unless I get an answer more quickly here. Any ideas?
tony4pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #2

My Wildwood also has three. Grey is indoor kitchen, bath sink and shower. Mu galley is my outdoor kitchen sink only. Do you have the outdoor sink?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

On my trailer 33' silverback 5th wheel I also have grey, galley, black tanks. I always leave the galley dump valve pulled open then the grey and galley should equillize. thats how my trailer is setup. First time out with mine I notice same thing, grey was getting very full after several shower etc. but galley was empty. Walked around trailer and pulled the galley handle I could hear a hush of water equillizing into the galley tank.
Swinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

@ leencharlotte - I do have the outdoor sink. So the outdoor sink has a holding tank just for that? I guess I assumed that the front grey tank was for the inside kitcen sink and the rear grey tank was for the bathroom grey water and the outdoor sink (just based on their proximity). I may have a problem with filling the main grey tank very quickly every time then...maybe time to invest in a portable tank for dumping grey water!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Site Team

tony4pyro
aboard! You are going to have lots of good times in your new Wildwood!

With most newbies there's a learning curve for adapting to water usage. It can be as simple as turning off the water in the shower while soaping up or not letting the water run as you brush your teeth. If you do not have hookups then you will really need to adapt sooner than later.

Even with turning off the water while showering my gray tank fills quickly. I am working on not using as much water for dish washing but with hookups I can dump when the tank gets full.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #6

@ Terier - I'm not a newbie, but I am new to a camper with more than one grey tank. My last one had one larger grey tank, so it took longer to fill it than these two smaller ones that I have now. I will have to try to book sites with full hookups from now on, since I am camping with three kids plus my wife - we use lots of water no matter how disciplined we are at conserving it. Looking forward to all of the advice and comeraderie on these forums.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #7

On my Lacrosse the galley is to the kitchen sink and it is linked to the other gray tank via a 1.5" pipe. One tank will read higher than the other for a while and once the water gets high enough they will equalize.

2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318BHS
2008 F-250 Powerstroke
6.4 tow rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #8

Yes a solo tank for the outdoor kitchen sink. So far never filled but grey fills fast as well. I do not know if mine are connected together as i have not seen any additional valves and i have 3 pipes leading to my sewer connection. Thus i have to stay at campgrounds with sewer so i can leave grey open until the night before
Old 05-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #9

I also have two grey tanks and a black tank. One grey sits under the shower and holds all the shower water (20 gal). The other grey handles the bathroom and kitchen sink (27 gal). At first it bothered me that I had two greys but I'm used to it now. Also, the grey for the shower has to pass through the black to exit. It is nice as it serves as an "extra" flush for the black tank. This also means that my two gray tanks are not connected so there can be no "sharing" between them.
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony4pyro View Post
@ Terier - I'm not a newbie, but I am new to a camper with more than one grey tank. My last one had one larger grey tank, so it took longer to fill it than these two smaller ones that I have now. I will have to try to book sites with full hookups from now on, since I am camping with three kids plus my wife - we use lots of water no matter how disciplined we are at conserving it. Looking forward to all of the advice and comeraderie on these forums.
Oops...sorry about that. I was going by the number of posts you have made. Got to love full hookups for sure! I know I do.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #11

My Flagstaff 30WTBSK also has a separate Galley Tank and it never fills even when the graywater tank is full. There is nothing in the owners book about it and I don't remember anything said by the dealer in our walk through. Yes, we have an external sink but it seems odd to have a whole tank for that, and at this point we have not used it.
Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #12

Galley tank is just for the sink. Has a separate drain. Well my Salem has a separate tank and drain.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #13

Mike, if you mean the indoor kitchen sink that is what I thought, but I tested it and water from the kitchen sink goes to the gray tank and not to the Galley tank.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #14

So you do have a galley tank but the kitchen sink drains in to the other grey tank?
Old 04-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #15

Also mine is a rear kitchen which may make a difference. Your outside kitchen is also in the rear so it use the 2nd grey tank.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #16

Yes, my kitchen sink drains into the same gray water tank as the bathroom sink and shower. So it leaves me wondering what the galley tank is for.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #17

Wray.I think all the tanks are in the same place then it depends on kitchen location. Does seam like a wasted tank though. My old (2013) Pioneer had a mid kitchen and don't have any idea which grey tank it drained in to. So my opinion can't mean to much.;o)
Old 04-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #18

I ran another test this evening and found that the Galley tank is just for the external sink. Seems that they expected it to be used more than we are using it.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #19

I guess the weather could make a difference if you cook out or in. Main thing is we get to do this in the comfort of an RV.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #20

That does sound odd but manufacturers do change things up. I have 72 gal of grey water capacity spread across two 36 gal holding tanks. My galley is dedicated to the aft tank while the bathroom sinks and shower go into the other. No connection between them and they have separate dump valves and connectors. The shower and bathroom sinks fill about four times faster than the galley and I can camp 6 days before the kitchen fills.
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote