Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to pjeffreysr1
Where does the gray water go?

I was told that Forest River in general (and my 2010 Wildwood 26BHXL in particular) tub/showers drain into the BLACK tank. Hard to believe since the galley sink and bath sink drains all tie into the tub drain line. I checked under the bath sink. Can anyone give me any accurate info on Forest River gray water drains? Thanks.
pjeffreysr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

I would have a hard time believing that. Sometimes my gray tanks get full enough to come back up into the shower pan. That would not be very nice mixed with black tank stuff. Black should be all to its own. Period. I would be interested to see if anyone's is different.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #3

I do not know how your trailer drains but on my rockwood I have three tanks. One black water, one gray water for the shower and bathroom sink and one for the galley sink.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

i believe the bathroom sink drains into the black tank and the shower and kitchen drains into the gray tank, unless there is a separate galley tank....
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #5

I have seen this come up a few times this summer in here. I don't remember which models but some FR trailers do in fact drain the shower into the black tank.

No way I would buy one like that.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #6

Shower in my Rockwood 2604 drains into the black tank. I did the "hose in the shower" test last weekend--drains out the black tank.

38 gal. gray tank collects the 2 sinks only!
Pa-cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #7

Can't be sure abt any other FR brands/models, but as for my 2010 Wildwood 26bhxl, by the water in the tub method, the tub drains into the GRAY water tank. I feel much better now.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-cj5 View Post
Shower in my Rockwood 2604 drains into the black tank. I did the "hose in the shower" test last weekend--drains out the black tank.

Well, I stand corrected. I still find that a bit odd, especially since like I said, I have filled my gray tanks to the point where the water started backing up into the shower pan (tub in the old TT). I would not want that to happen if it drained into the black tank.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Well, I stand corrected. I still find that a bit odd, especially since like I said, I have filled my gray tanks to the point where the water started backing up into the shower pan (tub in the old TT). I would not want that to happen if it drained into the black tank.
I'm not happy with this issue since we do alot of dry camping. I really don't want to be hauling black water to a dump station when I have an almost empty gray tank.

I will be talking to the factory rep at the Hershey RV show next weekend. This also will be a lesson learned when it's time for a new camper!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

Not sure which models/brands are being built at the Wildwood plant, but see the email below:

As per Gary Myers <gmyers@forestriverinc.com> (Wildwood Warranty rep)

I'm not sure who is telling you this but I have checked this out with this plant manager and all grey,the lav,tub and kitchen sink all goes into the galley/grey tank. The toilet is the only thing that is plumbed into the black water tank. He does not plumb any grey into black tanks on any model. Hope this help you. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Thank you
Gary Myers
FOREST RIVER INC.
Warranty Dept.
Phone 574-534-4058
Fax 574-534-0541
E-mail gmyers@forestriverinc.com
Old 09-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-cj5 View Post

just what is the "hose in the shower" test ?
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #12

Empty both tanks, run garden hose into shower stall, turn on water and go outside to your drain. Pull gray tank, if water comes out your connected into that tank, If not close and pull the blank tank.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #13

Pa-cj5 I have a 2011 2604 & read some threads on this issue. I called the tech at my dealership. He said no way does the shower or any sink drain into the black tank. Toilet only.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2604SS View Post
Pa-cj5 I have a 2011 2604 & read some threads on this issue. I called the tech at my dealership. He said no way does the shower or any sink drain into the black tank. Toilet only.
Mine is a 2011, delivered in May. Can you test the shower and let me know which tank it drains out of?

I hope mine is an error and can be corrected, but the service manager said this was the design of this model.

Also my unit weighs 6129lbs which is higher than any others I've seen on the lot.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #15

I have a 2006 8314ss with three tanks, I do know for a fact that the bathroom sink and the tub/shower drains into the grey tank, the toilet into the black tank and the kitchen sink into the galley tank.
With our grey tank just taking showers, we can get approx 5 showers before it stops draining out of the tub and the first sign that the tank is just about full we start getting bubbles backing up into the drain.
I have over flowed the galley tank one time, I was setting out side having a cold one and my wife was washing up some glasses the next thing I knew water started pooring out of the overflow under the window, I was wondering what that was for, will it miss the beer that was on a table under the overflow so three lessons learn from this, (1) make sure the galley tank has been drained (2) do not place a table under the overflow and (3) know the parts to your camper....I just don't want water in my beer from the kitchen sink or from anywhere else.....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #16

My bathroom sink does drain to the black tank.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
Villa Estate 392FLFB

toilet only for the blackwater tank on mine.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjeffreysr1 View Post
Not sure which models/brands are being built at the Wildwood plant, but see the email below:

As per Gary Myers <gmyers@forestriverinc.com> (Wildwood Warranty rep)

I'm not sure who is telling you this but I have checked this out with this plant manager and all grey,the lav,tub and kitchen sink all goes into the galley/grey tank. The toilet is the only thing that is plumbed into the black water tank. He does not plumb any grey into black tanks on any model. Hope this help you. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Thank you
Gary Myers
FOREST RIVER INC.
Warranty Dept.
Phone 574-534-4058
Fax 574-534-0541
E-mail gmyers@forestriverinc.com
My 08 GT XL lav sink drains into the black tank.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #19
2003 Sunseeker 3100SS

I found out thie weekend that my bathroom sink drains into my black water as I had green liquid coming up the toilet....thanks god my wife noticed it prior to it overflowing. Yikes!
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #20

I found out as the ocer flow went foward to under the closet, Lot of bleach used in clean up!