Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
WHERE is the water coming from???

Love the forum and mods. Now I need help
I have only used my camper once this year. I just noticed there is a leak in my Grey Wolf 26BH. I don't know where the water is coming from. The water is actually collecting in the black protective undercoat layer. It is collecting at the back of the trailer under where the tub is. I have checked the tub and in all of the areas water is being supplied to. I cant see any leaks. It must be coming from outside but I am not sure where to check. I have checked all of the caulking and it looks good.
I was thinking maybe water was coming in where the power plug cable comes in.
Anyone have suggestions where to look if they are pretty sure it is coming from outside?

I do have a skylight and it doesn't look like that is leaking either.

Any suggestions appreciated.

mikester32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure I can help but here is a thought: is the trailer level? If it is sitting nose high it doesn't matter where the water gets in, it will collect in the back. Water is going down hill. I can't tell for sure, but I think you are assuming it's rain water. Don't assume anything! Make a small, repairable hole and let the accumulated water out. Now connect to city water and watch and wait. Make sure to run the tub some to check for a leak at the tub drain. Once sure it's not city water, put a bucket under you hole and wait on rain, or get a hose. Verify it leaks when getting wet from outside. Then wet one half only, swap halves, and continue to narrow down. It's slow, but it will work. Process of elimination. Hope this helps.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
i also had a mysterious leak in my Rockwood 8315SS while sitting outside the trailer,we noticed water dripping from the black covering,looking under the trailer i noticed a vent,(for ventilation)in the covering.that's where the water was dripping from. i then started checking the piping in trailer as much as i could. i couldn't find any leaks. finally checked the levels in the black and gray water tank. the gray water tank was full. i emptied the tank and the dripping stopped. according to the tech where i bought the trailer. the tank can distort when over full,causing the fittings into the tank to become loose. now i don't let the gray water tank get more than 1/2 full before i empty it. have not had the leak since. i thought it was a overflow vent on the tank,but according to the tech,there isn't one.
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
We have a Rockwood 2701ss and had a similar situation on our first outing this year after having the trailer in storage last winter. We noticed water accumulating in the bathroom behind the toilet. I too checked the connections and they were dry. But, when I check the water lines that come from the kitchen area behind the slide it looked like one of the lines had a leak. There was water sprayed all over the wall and floor.

To this day I have no idea why it happened, but all I know is it appears to have only happened once, but I check it every time we use the trailer, just in case.

I know this was kind of long winded but like others have said, the leak might be coming from somewhere else and running back there. check all the water lined front to back carefully before you rule them out.
2008 Rockwood 2701ss
2008 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.4L PSD
Reese DC WD hitch
bricole1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
I had a similar experience and finally pulled one of the small boards out from behind a cabinet behind the shower/tub that hides some of the pipes. Got a flash light, laid in the floor and stuck my head in the cabinet. When the trailer was shaking, I noticed water sputtering out the top of the drain trap coming out of the tub. There was a hole chewed in the top curve of the pipe. Luckily, both sides were screwed and not glued. Had to pull the heater vent out from under the tub to get it out. I guess when the grey tank was getting full and we were showering it was coming out of that hole and draining out the bottom. Now I'm wondering if the foul smell in my freezer is the result of a dead rodent that I cannot see.
safetyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I once had a similar problem. The culprit, according to the tech, was the connection to the outside shower faucets at the faucets. Just about the last place anyone would think to look.

Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote