Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #1

Where to get an extra fresh water tank

Looking for some info from the brain trust here about sources to get an extra water tank for my Vengeance 25V.

There is a space under the trailer behind the rear axle that can hold a tank sized up to 60"x20"x10". I want to put a tank there so I can have extra capacity when dry camping. The goal would be to fill the tank just prior to destination, but it would also give me the ability to use it for ballast (lighten the tongue load) when I do not have the motorcycle in the garage. With the TT fully loaded I still have about 2,000 pounds of TT payload remaining (which would also be within the GCVW rating) so the weight of the water would not be a problem.

Here's a link to a tank that I have found. 40 Gallon Rv Water Tank - RVB305

I'm thinking it's a little pricey at $270 so do any of y'all know of other suppliers?

Also, here's a pix of the area used for mounting the tank:

Old 02-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #2

I am just finishing putting in a second fresh water tank like you want to do. I bought mine on ebay for $150 for a 50 gallon tank. There is a guy in Michigan who has a bunch of surplus tanks of all sizes as well as other sellers.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I am just finishing putting in a second fresh water tank like you want to do. I bought mine on ebay for $150 for a 50 gallon tank. There is a guy in Michigan who has a bunch of surplus tanks of all sizes as well as other sellers.
Do you have the name or website of the place you got the tank? I never buy anything through eBay because of past bad experience with them.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #4

I bought mine from the first link because at the time they had the exact size I needed.
Second link seems not to work right but you can search for keiths rv surplus
http://stores.ebay.com/madisoncenter...sub=2078509011

http://stores.ebay.com/Keiths-RV-surplus/Water-tanks-/_i.html?_fsub=499216018&_sid=14670398&_trksid=p463 4.c0.m322[/URL]

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 02-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #5

I've got this exact idea. What are you guys thinking for plumbing? I was going to install a gravity fill arrangement with its own vent. But, I haven't decided how to get water out of it. I thought about a T valve in my water panel so I could switch between tanks. Or use the pump and transfer from the rear tank to the front tank to refill it. That might be easiest, as I could monitor water level with the fron tank until empty, then pump the rear tank dry refilling the front tank and start over.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I bought mine from the first link because at the time they had the exact size I needed.
Second link seems not to work right but you can search for keiths rv surplus
http://stores.ebay.com/madisoncenter...sub=2078509011

http://stores.ebay.com/Keiths-RV-surplus/Water-tanks-/_i.html?_fsub=499216018&_sid=14670398&_trksid=p463 4.c0.m322[/URL]
Thanks for that info. Checked them out...good prices, but, unfortunately they don't have the size I need. But, making progress...at least I've found one for $195 plus the fittings.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #7

I used a separate fill and vent for the second tank and decided to tee the first tank outlet line into the second with a common line to the pump. I thought of valving them separately but could think of no real reason to do so.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 02-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I've got this exact idea. What are you guys thinking for plumbing? I was going to install a gravity fill arrangement with its own vent. But, I haven't decided how to get water out of it. I thought about a T valve in my water panel so I could switch between tanks. Or use the pump and transfer from the rear tank to the front tank to refill it. That might be easiest, as I could monitor water level with the fron tank until empty, then pump the rear tank dry refilling the front tank and start over.
My initial plan (which is definitely subject to changes) is to have the tank with fill and vent openings on the top and end side and the outlet fitting on the side panel, bottom area. The fill fitting will use a regular water hose with a "quick-connect" fitting to attach the supply hose. The outlet will be the same setup with an in-line 12 vdc pump between the outlet and the hose quick connect. That way, I can connect a hose between the new tank and the existing fill valve and use the pump to fill the factory tank.

Biggest problem is finding a pump that is both small and high volume. Most that I've found flow between 3-5 gallons per minute. Those might work but I'd prefer something a little faster.

From a cosmetic standpoint I haven't decided on how or where I'll install the fill/output hose fittings but thinking about an area just behind the lower side panel. Don't know how hard access would be so it might not work. Trying to avoid putting another access box on the side of the trailer.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

emm-dee,

Please keep us updated with what you find and/or how you did the work as we have the same rig and I want to possibly do this as well.

Thanks,
Old 02-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #10

I added a tank under the trailer and did not want to add a fill port to the side of the trailer. I ran a line from the pressure side of my factory water system to my aux tank and fill it that way. After using the water in the factory tank I have a flojet pump to transfer the water from the tank underneath to the factory tank. Takes about ten minutes to fill or empty.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1 View Post
emm-dee,

Please keep us updated with what you find and/or how you did the work as we have the same rig and I want to possibly do this as well.

Thanks,
Will do. Ordering the tank tomorrow. I spent hours and hours searching and could not find any that would fit except for a 30 gallon size. Biggest problem was the ten inch vertical size restriction. Ordering a Pacific Hydro pump from Amazon that does five GPM.

Gonna be a slight delay in the process because of the Atlanta Nascar race next week. It would be nice to complete it prior to that but I'm going to spend a little time experimenting with line fitment, power runs, etc.

Sure is nice having enough room to work under the TT.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank