Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Where's My Water? "SOLVED!"

Well, we're out here in our new camper. I've filled the water tank, turned on the water pump and things were great. I then flipped on the water heater and it lit.

The problem was I did not open the valve to the water heater. once i figured that out i think i screwed up.

now, i hvae no water flow anywhere. i tried closing the valve to the water heater, but no change. The water pump is running, but there is no water flow. Did I miss a valve somewhere? Did I burn up my water pump?

The dealer showed us zero about that water heater and water pump, so I don't even know what to look for. Any help out there?

Darren
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Denver, CO

Take a couple minutes to fill the HW tank up,before you can build up pressure.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #3

Sounds like a possible winterizing valve needs closing. If you can find your pump, and see if there is an extra valve and hose with no end. That hose would be the winterizing hose for sucking antifreeze into the system. Close said valve, maybe? Also, check the bypass valves on the back of the wh.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #4

Was the fresh water tank full? You might be out of water. The water must be put in the fresh water tanks slowly or you will get some back pressure and think the tank if full. The water heater would require 6gal of water. If the fresh water tank is empty the pump will keep running.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverfel View Post
Well, we're out here in our new camper. I've filled the water tank, turned on the water pump and things were great. I then flipped on the water heater and it lit.

The problem was I did not open the valve to the water heater. once i figured that out i think i screwed up.

now, i hvae no water flow anywhere. i tried closing the valve to the water heater, but no change. The water pump is running, but there is no water flow. Did I miss a valve somewhere? Did I burn up my water pump?

The dealer showed us zero about that water heater and water pump, so I don't even know what to look for. Any help out there?

Darren
Turn on pump and locate outside from the sound. Go inside and locate it first. The pump cannot be damaged by operating dry, Mfg. says so. You have a system full of air. Bleed one faucet at a time, then start the heater.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverfel View Post

Darren
Darren,

There should be 3 valves on the water heater: One on the cold (blue) line in and one on the hot (red) line out. Both need to be open. There is also one on the short by-pass hose that connects the hot and cold lines before the heater. That one needs to be closed.

At or very near to the pump, there will be another valve on the line that comes from the frest water tank. That needs to be open to get any water out of the tank. If tyou leave it closed, you can get fresh water when you are hooked up to "city water" but nothing from the tank when you are not on city water.

Mike
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

Once you get the 3 valves on the water heater set correctly, turn on the water then go outside and open the "pop off valve" on the waterheater. It will expell a lot of air as the wather heater fills up.
When the water heater is full, you will get water rather than air out of that pop-off valve. Close the valve, turn on the water heater, and you should be good to go.

On the fresh water pump, you will not hurt it running it dry (within reason), but be careful not to turn on the water heater without water in it...you will burn up the element without water in the tank.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Site Team

first, it would help if you told us what kind of RV you have and what model it is.
second, are you at home, driveway camping or did you already go to a campground?
third, what valve to the water heater did you flip?
fourth, did you fill the FW tank or did you hookup to the city water, thinking that filled the FW tank?

lastly, post the dealer's name so others can avoid them and maybe word will get back to the owner.
these are basic things all PDI's should cover.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Winterize position

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130412_202106.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	27754
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Summer position

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130412_202139.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	27755
Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #11

water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Summer position

Attachment 27755
I was told to open the top and bottom value and leave the middle close because if you don't you will get only warm water not hot.I read a lot of us having problems with there dealers.I have to say my dealer has took care of me every time I call them.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #12

I can't say thank you enough to everyone for your support. I'm an IT professional and belong to dozens of different forums. Your help last night was extremely helpful and refreshing.

Turns out my problem was a conglomeration of several things. The water valves were set improperly set on the water heater lines and the water pump was not operating properly.

I corrected the valve settings (Thanks Ron and Amy), then had to prime my water pump. Once I got it reprised the water started flowing properly. I soon had the water heater filled and we were in business! Thanks again to everyone for your help. It's turned out to be a wonderful weekend and our first camping trip will be considered a success!

Darren and Donna
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

GREAT to hear !

Good luck and have fun for those of us whom cannot yet !
Come on weather !!!!!!!!!