Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Just for clarification on my last post, I am talking about the switch and light for the water heater gas operation.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gktsuda1956 View Post
So my plan was to leave the external switch on. Add an internal switch with a light indicator that turns on when the electric option is on.
Using the breaker as a switch may be OK. This is controversial, but like noted above, it's probably not that big of a deal and breakers can be replaced too.

However, I just liked the idea of a separate lighted switch in the galley so I could see that if the electric side of the wh was on. So I added my own switch (details at the link below):

Water Heater Switch with Power-on Light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0414.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	4001  

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The toggle switch on the outside of the water heater is for 120 volt electric only. The switch on the wall inside with the red reset button is for your gas only. The reset light should only come on while the heater is trying to light, or if it has failed to light.

This is what my anode rod looks like after 2 years of use.......I have another 1/2 dozen years more use out of it at least:

Attachment 3995
i pulled mine for the first time this year...(8.5 yrs)..i have abt 1/3 or that left.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gktsuda1956 View Post
I was just having this discussion with my local RV dealer earlier today. I have a Flagstaff V-lite and have the same switch configuration. We were discussing the options of adding another switch to operate the electric feature of the water heater. We discussed the option of leaving the outside switch on and using the breaker panel circuit to turn this option on and off. He stated this was not good for the breaker to be repeatedly turned on and off. Each time the breaker is turned on and off diminishes it's life expectancy. So my plan was to leave the external switch on. Add an internal switch with a light indicator that turns on when the electric option is on.
i've used the breaker sense i bought ~9yrs ago. it is a more convinent check for me. now it is habit to switch it off when i park at home.