Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #1

Wildwood 33TS toilet issues

We took delivery of a 2019 33TS about 3 months ago. We are full timing right now at a seasonal campground, and seem to be having some issues with our toilet.

First, there is an almost constant sewage smell in the bathroom. We have tried leaving the fan off, running it constantly over a 48hr period, and the problem remains. The seal on the flush valve seems to be OK, as the bowl always has water covering the seal.

Second, from time to time, we notice the water in the bowl becomes contaminated. When we flush, clean water comes in to the bowl, but after an hour or two is resembles sewage water.

I don't know if we have the problematic Dometic 300 model or not, but it looks like most of the problems with these units were on older production units.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

Kevin
kberlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #2

are you leaving your black tank dump valve open? when hooked up it is best to keep the black tank dump closed until your tank needs dumping. that ensures you don't build a poop mound and that the tank fully drains all waste. Second keeping the valves shut stops the order from the campground system from entering your system. Just a thought. Ensure your roof vents for the plumbing are clear
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #3

I gotta ask... Do you have children? Boys do strange and unannounced things...

I have hear complaints of odors in the Dometic units, but I have not experienced it.

Seadog has a great suggestion about the tanks.

I have another idea.... How long has it been since you flushed the fresh tank(sanitized)? Cheap try... I assume it's possible it is nasty and leaking into water supply though pump check valve??? May not help, but it would be a cheap check.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #4

Sorry for the delayed response. We don't have a sewer hookup at our site, so I make several trips with our blue tank each week. On average, 1 trip for the black tank, 2-3 trips each week for the grey water. All gate valves are closed unless I am dumping the tanks, and I have never had both valves open at the same time.

In terms of the freshwater tank, I have never filled it since we picked the unit up at the start of the season, we have a city water hookup at the site. No small boys, three grand daughters, my wife(Grandma) and me(Papa).

I hope I have answered the questions you have asked. Thanks!
kberlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #5

Make sure all your p-traps are full and any air vents valves like under a counter are free and working next I would consider installing cyclone vents on my pluming vents. I used them on my class A due to smell every now an then and it solved the problem
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #6

get a new camp site. You are on a seasonal site and don't even have a grey tank drain? No company coming in once a week and emptying the unit? you are braver then I am.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:07 PM   #7

When we are camping I start by adding 5 gallons of water to the black tank and a deodorant tablet that also helps break down the solids and TP. This also helps prevent a poop pyramid.

As afar as the bowl water becoming contaminated it could be as simple as some fecal matter on the valve that is dissolving in the water. We see that happen from time to time.

If the bowl is holding water I don’t see how the smell could be coming from there. Is the toilet tight to the floor?

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #8

Your flange might not be installed correctly/missing/damaged. You may need to order a new one, pull the toilet, and install it. But if it is new then you should also have a warranty so you can always have a dealer or mechanic come out and do it for you.
Backwoods87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood