Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

Wind Jammer fresh water fill

I do not like how the fill cap is in the open and especially the vent opening. What would be the best way to install a lockable door such as I have seen on other makes of trailers? Is there a flush mount door assembly that will mount over the existing fill unit or do I have to remove, cut larger square hole in body and mount a fill/vent lockable one?

Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #2

That sounds like a good idea...
I just had mine apart to fix the fill problem mentioned by other owners. If you have the problem with the fresh water tank not filling it is fixable by opening up the under belly and straightening the filler tube and the vent tube. I made a little ramp with some light weight wood to support the tubes.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
I do not like how the fill cap is in the open and especially the vent opening. What would be the best way to install a lockable door such as I have seen on other makes of trailers? Is there a flush mount door assembly that will mount over the existing fill unit or do I have to remove, cut larger square hole in body and mount a fill/vent lockable one?

There still has to be some kind of vent opening or the pump will have problems drawing water out of the rank.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #4

Carrier, I found this on Amazon.

JR Products JFE12-A Polar White Key Lock Gravity Water Hatch

It could work with a bit of modification work.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #5

Yes I have found that as well and that is what I want. Just not sure about cutting the trailer to make it work. What I would like is that same size of box minus the fill and vent but to be able to just mount it over the one that is there now.
I also realize about the vent needing air but only when filling and using the pump. Most times there is no water in there and would be nice to keep crap from getting into it.
Going to check some RV stores when I get a chance and see what I can find.
Would like someting like this except deep enough to go over what I have now and just screw it to the trailer.

JR Products 22132-A Polar White Large 30/50 Amp Key Lock Electric Cable Hatch: Amazon.ca: Automotive
Old 06-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #6

I thought this might work but looks like the collar goes inside the wall.

https://www.rvsupplyparts.com/catalo...32-a-9249.html
Old 06-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #7

You are right it does require a cut out 4-3/4" H x 5-7/8" W and outside is 6-1/2" H X 7-5/8" W.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #8

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a locking thermostat cover.

Most of them are just screwed to the wall over a thermostat.

Something along this line.

Thermostat Cover, Large (CG-512) at Aubuchon Hardware
Old 06-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
Yes I have found that as well and that is what I want. Just not sure about cutting the trailer to make it work. What I would like is that same size of box minus the fill and vent but to be able to just mount it over the one that is there now.
I also realize about the vent needing air but only when filling and using the pump. Most times there is no water in there and would be nice to keep crap from getting into it.
Going to check some RV stores when I get a chance and see what I can find.
Would like someting like this except deep enough to go over what I have now and just screw it to the trailer.
Perhaps this could be trimmed down and stuck on with double sided tape, that way you could leave the inlet the way it is
JR Products 22132-A Polar White Large 30/50 Amp Key Lock Electric Cable Hatch: Amazon.ca: Automotive
Perhaps this could be trimmed down and stuck on with double sided tape, its very strong
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #10

Previous owner put this cover on one of two gravity fill openings. (he removed the second tank and covered the fill hole) I have been looking for another one as I reinstalled the second tank and added a second fill valve. I have taken the pictures with me to RV stores with no luck. I really like the setup and the ability to lock the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tankfill.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	79840   Click image for larger version

Name:	tankfill2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	79841  
scout3351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #11

Looks like a Standard O/S Shower Assy.Door! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout3351 View Post
Previous owner put this cover on one of two gravity fill openings. (he removed the second tank and covered the fill hole) I have been looking for another one as I reinstalled the second tank and added a second fill valve. I have taken the pictures with me to RV stores with no luck. I really like the setup and the ability to lock the door.
Like Youroo said it looks like a outside shower hatch that has been cut. I have looked at some others used for either plumbing or electrical cord hatch. It looks like there is a shim that is behind it is that correct and what is it made of? It need to be about 3/4" away from trailer and will work.
I want to keep to a RV style of hatch material and color.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalohunter View Post
That sounds like a good idea...
I just had mine apart to fix the fill problem mentioned by other owners. If you have the problem with the fresh water tank not filling it is fixable by opening up the under belly and straightening the filler tube and the vent tube. I made a little ramp with some light weight wood to support the tubes.
I filled my tank today and sanitized it. Had no problems with filling and could use full water flow. Filled up in no tme.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout3351 View Post
This looks like the one you have. What is the black stuff around it?

RV camper Electrical Access Compartment Door Power Cord Hatch with Lock | eBay
Old 07-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #15

I came back to this thread to see if anyone had found a cover like I have on my Work and Play toyhauler. I thought I had posted more info on the one I have as requested but don't see it here. I apologize for not doing that. It has a formed rubber gasket around it that spaces it away from the trailer side by about 1/2 to 3/4". I thought I had posted the inside and outside dimensions of the gasket, but again, I guess I didn't. I will have to remeasure if anyone is interested in that info. I hate getting old and forgetful.
scout3351 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water