Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #1

Question Winter freeze up

I am hooked up to land line water living out of my 2011 8280ws while working. Its getting down to the single digits at night. I'm not freezing up in the kitchen where the water comes in and is destributed but somewhere between the kitchen and bathroom is freezing up. I have cork insulation double taped every blue and red hose in the basement but funny thing is can not find where any connection it tee'd off feeding from the front. I have not dropped the belly yet as I've been attempting to find out which way the water pipes feed from the kitchen to the bathroom and drop that side. I've read other post where people are putting heaters and such but I'm not freezing coming into the 5th wheel only from the kitchen to the bathroom. Are the hoses run diaganol to the bathroom or along the front side or along the back side. I'm thinking why do we need electric to keep the pipes from freezing when a double wrap of cork insulation tape the entire run is good for down to minus 20deg f. We do this in the hvacr industry and never freeze up. Anyone know which direction the pipes run from the kitchen to the bathroom lol. Yeah I can't spell technician but I are one ��
John5five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #2

I used to own a 5r the mfg. didn't use clamps on flex ducts - the belly heater duct was laying loose near the furnace. I've checked my latest 5r under belly cover with a cheap Harbor Freight IR heat sensor, at least between the main beams its harm enough to prevent frozen pipes. If pipes are freezing what's happening to the holding tanks? Most 3 season TT have mfg. holes in heat ducts to heat between floor and belly cover for tanks and water lines. By the way the other 5r belly cover was 4 inches too short, let out heat but boy did the critters enjoy the comfort - too many problems that 5r is gone.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:46 PM   #3

Thanks DJ. That's funny. This has been a good rig. Untill now I've not been where it freezes below around the 20's. Usually 30f is about as low as it got. Spent a month in Tahoe/Reno and never froze up down to +10f. I think the wind chill was at by back side there. I'm back in New Hampshire and it's a different ball game lol. I have tank heaters and a heated water supply hose. When the camp ground freezes up or Turns Off The Water I switch to on board water with no problem as of yet. When it gets below 15f around here after a couple hours I freeze up to the bathroom but usually it's only the hot water that freezes (knock on wood, thank goodness for Pex Pipe lol). I took the basement duct and shoved it in a hole and sealed it up behind the cabinet that houses the Subwoofer speaker. We'll see if that helps. Blows midship into the belly pretty darn good. I'll leave the Mr Heater off and use the HVAC when it freezes. These RV builders should be mandatory to produce electrical and plumbing schematics for every model they build. Hey there's a money maker for someone. Haha
�� Happy Trails