Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Winterization question suburban sw6del

First timer winterization. I have 2 valves on back of the water heater. One on the cold and one on the hot. No bypass like ive seen on other pictures. Do I drain the tank and take out the anode rod and then just turn both of those valves?
__________________

Crispie0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,036
Close the valves before draining and follow the lines and see if there isn't another valve that will allow the bypass
__________________

__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 12,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispie0206 View Post
First timer winterization. I have 2 valves on back of the water heater. One on the cold and one on the hot. No bypass like ive seen on other pictures. Do I drain the tank and take out the anode rod and then just turn both of those valves?
I'm guessing one of those valves is a 3-way valve. Can you post a pic?
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Close the valves before draining and follow the lines and see if there isn't another valve that will allow the bypass
If I close those valves will it keep water from going to the rest of the tt? Or just stop it from going into the water heater?
Crispie0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I'm guessing one of those valves is a 3-way valve. Can you post a pic?
PicsClick image for larger version

Name:	20191013_084007.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	217181Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_083937.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	217182Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_084001_HDR.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	217183
Crispie0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispie0206 View Post
If I turn both of those valves with that white tube connecting the hot and cold behind the water heater will that bypass the water heater?
Crispie0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispie0206 View Post
If I turn both of those valves with that white tube connecting the hot and cold behind the water heater will that bypass the water heater?
Yes
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes
Thanks. I didn't see that white hose back there until I stuck my phone way back there to take the pics.
Crispie0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: payson, az
Posts: 2,143
those valves direct the output from the valve to one of two possible destinations.

in normal operation cold water comes in the blue tube at the bottom and the bottom valve directs it into the water heater. the heated water comes out and the top valve directs it out the red hose. in this setting no water flows through the clear tube.

in winterize setting cold water comes in the bottom blue hose the the valve directs it out the clear hose. it does not go int the water heater. once through the clear hose the top valve directs it out the red hose. it does not get to the red hose from the water heater.

both valves must be turned 1/4 turn in sync. getting them out of sync will not allow any water to flow either through the tank or through the clear hose.

so yes, these are the water heater bypass valves.

take the anode out to drain the tank after the valves are set to winterize setting. allow the tank to drain. this is a good time to check the anode. either put the existing one back in or put a new new one in. one thing this does is to keep bugs out of the tank. when taking the anode out just open a hot water valve or the pressure relief vale to bleed off any pressure that may remain.
__________________
2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
those valves direct the output from the valve to one of two possible destinations.

in normal operation cold water comes in the blue tube at the bottom and the bottom valve directs it into the water heater. the heated water comes out and the top valve directs it out the red hose. in this setting no water flows through the clear tube.

in winterize setting cold water comes in the bottom blue hose the the valve directs it out the clear hose. it does not go int the water heater. once through the clear hose the top valve directs it out the red hose. it does not get to the red hose from the water heater.

both valves must be turned 1/4 turn in sync. getting them out of sync will not allow any water to flow either through the tank or through the clear hose.

so yes, these are the water heater bypass valves.

take the anode out to drain the tank after the valves are set to winterize setting. allow the tank to drain. this is a good time to check the anode. either put the existing one back in or put a new new one in. one thing this does is to keep bugs out of the tank. when taking the anode out just open a hot water valve or the pressure relief vale to bleed off any pressure that may remain.
Thank you.
__________________

Crispie0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
suburban, winter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.


×