Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #1

Winterization trouble

I have an XLR 29HFS and I’m new to winterizing. I got plenty of RV antifreeze and I have a hose and funnel hooked up to my “fresh water” connection. I tried opening the faucets inside, I tried opening the low point drains, and I have already drained and by-passed the water heater.

For some reason the antifreeze does NOT feed into the fresh water tank. I have a hose end with a funnel and it doesn’t drain into the tank. Any idea why?? I can’t figure out out to get the antifreeze into the tank. I had planned to just use the onboard water pump to pump antifreeze throughout all the fixtures but I can’t even get antifreeze to go in! Any ideas?
scottrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #2

No need to go through the FW tank. You can take the inlet line off the pump and attach a fitting with a piece of hose to draw directly from the jug. You can get the correct fitting at any RV dealer. There are 2 that I know of, a snap fitting and a screw on fitting.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Scoundrel

^^^^^ This.... typically we don't want antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Simply drain the fresh water tank and use the pump to pull antifreeze out of the jug and into the plumbing.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Team

DONT put antifreeze in the FW tank.
1. Not necessary if it's drained since it has plenty room for the little bit of remaining water to expand if it freezes.
2. You'll have to use lots of water to flush it out, to get rid of the AF taste.
3. Same thing for the holding tanks, as long as they are drained.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
No need to go through the FW tank. You can take the inlet line off the pump and attach a fitting with a piece of hose to draw directly from the jug. You can get the correct fitting at any RV dealer. There are 2 that I know of, a snap fitting and a screw on fitting.

So where is the “inlet line” that I take off the pump? Inside the camper somewhere? Is it in the same compartment as the water pump?
scottrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

The inlet line, know as the pump supply line or suction line, is between the fresh water tank and the water pump. Yes, you can access it in the same compartment as the water pump. It will be the water line that is connected to the strainer that is connected to the pump.

Many RV's have a winterizing kit installed. If you don't have it you can buy one from most RV dealers, Camping World or Amazon. The are easy to install and can be done in less than 30 minutes.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Scott.....

What kind of RV do you have? Can you locate your on board water pump?
Can you see if it has a tap nearby to change it from drawing water from the on board water to another short line used to winterize your rig?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

OP has a bumper pull XLR Hyperlite 29HFS toy hauler.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod View Post
So where is the “inlet line” that I take off the pump? Inside the camper somewhere? Is it in the same compartment as the water pump?
On mine I remove the right hand panel below the kitchen sink. The capped off line is the pump inlet after you turn the valve to that line. Just put the line in the antifreeze jug and turn on the pump. Mine takes approximately 2 1/2 gallons including the drains. Also remove the panel below the stove to access the water heater control valves.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod View Post
I have an XLR 29HFS and I’m new to winterizing. I got plenty of RV antifreeze and I have a hose and funnel hooked up to my “fresh water” connection. Any ideas?
The hose and funnel aren't going to gravity feed through your system. You're going to have to pump the antifreeze into the system using either a hand pump, an external pump or if you have a 'winterize' setting or can bypass the water heater, you can use that.

Tags
winter