Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #1

Winterize

Can anyone tell me how to winterize a Surveyor trailer. I cannot find the low point drains and are there valves that need to be shut off.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Here is what I think I know! : - )
The only drain you need to find is the fresh water tank. Should stick straight down out of the tank. Looks just like the end of a garden hose.
Then! 1) Bypass the water heater. It should be pre-equiped with a bypass.
2) Unscrew the anode rod from the water heater to drain it. Leave it out for the winter 3) There should be a valve near your water pump; one way goes the the fresh tank and the other to a short hose. Turn the valve to the short hose. This hose will be used to suck the RV anti-freeze into the system. 4) Buy about 3 gallons of pink RV anti-freeze 5) Stick the short hose in the bottle. 6) turn on each hot water faucet, one by one, until pink. don't forget the shower hose and outside shower 7) replace RV anti-freeze bottles as they empty 8) turn on each cold water faucet on by one until pink 9) now run toilet until pink 10) make sure each sink/tub trap has enough pink in it not to freeze 11) perhaps first but make sure black and grey tanks are emptied. doesn't hurt if some RV Anti-freeze gets in tanks 12) might also want to go outside, find the city water inlet, take out the screen, push the little valve to get pink in the city inlet. keep your face out of the way or you'll get a face wash! 13) disconnect your battery and put a battery minder on it to keep it charged and minimize sulfation 14) thank yourself for doing an easy job and saving yourself $150.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #3

My Flagstaff 26 RKS does not have low point drains. I follow acadianbob's directions listed above. It doesn't take terribly long to do it either, no more than an hour.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #4

You might want to remove your paper water filter cartridge if so equipped. I think some one here mentioned they never saw pink come out of the faucets because the filter cleaned the pink out. Also when you are all done, its a good idea to drain out the cartridge holder. It will be completely full of the pink antifreeze and some say it might not freeze but might expand and could cause the cartridge to break.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Site Team

steve, ironically that was ME!! forgot to take out the filter and wasted lots of RV antifreeze! And now I failed to put it in my instructions!! HA! Good catch! Thank you. Bob
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #6

Hokiehall...we have the same floorplan as you (2008 Rockwood 2605s) and the low point drains in our travel trailer are under the bath tub. I would think all travel trailers would have low point drains. Just a comment.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Tac View Post
Hokiehall...we have the same floorplan as you (2008 Rockwood 2605s) and the low point drains in our travel trailer are under the bath tub. I would think all travel trailers would have low point drains. Just a comment.
Well, I never thought about there as I could never find where they came down under the trailer ( and I crawled all under the thing). Where exactly are they on yours in relation to the bathtub? I would like to go out over the weekend to see if I can find them.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #8

The low point drains go through the floor directly under the bath tub and are real close to the frame in front of the wheels. The drains in our TT extend about 2" and are visible from underneath the TT. Do you have an opening under the bath tub directly across from the stool next to the floor? That is where we got to the low point drains to open them up before we added the access door from the outside. Don't feel bad about not knowing where the low point drains are on your TT, we had to call FR and asked them where they were. I've attached a picture showing the low point drains under the tub and the access door we had added for convenience. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Low Drain Plugs 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	313
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Access door to low point drain 080 (Small).jpg
Views:	262
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1956  
Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #9

Leaving out anode rod

What is the reason for leaving out the anode rod after draining system? I finished draining my heater and put the rod back in.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljcpmc View Post
What is the reason for leaving out the anode rod after draining system? I finished draining my heater and put the rod back in.
I put mine back in. Rust can form on the threads of the water heater and make it difficult, if not impossible to put in later so leave it in. Be sure to put the plumbers tape on the threads as usual. Flush it out again real good when you de-winterize in the spring.

Thanks for the pic Momma Tac. I'll be going in mine this weekend to see what I can find.