Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #1

Question winterize w air leave low point valves open?

When you winterize w air thru city water do you leave low point valves open or closed when you open all faucets one at a time? Do you shut off air after each faucet opened then closed and go to the next faucet open then turn on Air?
Have new Sierra 5th wheel and don't want to mess this up. Also has LG residential refrig with bottom freezer w ice maker. It has a valve on slide outside that we released water from is that all for winterizing? Cannot find a filter inside it anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated!!

gemlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

Lots of successful techniques.

I leave the low point drains closed while pumping air thru the system. Liquids (air, water, etc) will exit at the easiest point. I pressurize the system to 40psi then open faucet starting at the one furthest away. Most water blows out here but there's still water in the branch lines. Then I open them working closer to the pump. Don't forget the toilet and shower(s). I let the air blow thru for several minutes. Multiple satisfying hissing sounds and vapor come out. At the end I open the low point drains and leave the faucets open until spring. A check list taped to a cabinet reminds me to close valves, etc in the spring.

-- Chuck

Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #3

X2 how Chuck_S does it. Also don't forget the water pump and small filter that maybe attached.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #4

Do you know where and how we might get to water pump? Everything so new,and hubby is working late. Temps here will get in 20s this week...
gemlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #5

Turn the pump on and open a facet. Many pumps are annoyingly loud but you should be able to hear even the quite ones.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #6

What about the refrigerator with an ice maker?
patsylou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsylou2 View Post
What about the refrigerator with an ice maker?
Yes... you better winterize it.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=27
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
Pockets

If you wish, I have an Excel spreadsheet on winterizing my TT. Private message me with your email if you want it.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(10 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #9

winterize meaning you have below freezing temps for sustained periods of time?
or the occasional day or 2?
if the first is a seasonal fact then air alone will not rid the system of all fluids and you should use the antifreeze.

Get the antifreeze for plumping and there may be a bypass valve for the line to be sucking the antifreeze from the jug to the pump itself. if so flip the switch and turn the pump on after inserting the hose into the jug of antifreeze.

I throw the bypass for the HW tank and remove the drain plug AFTER I release the pressure valve for the HW tank. I've fired that rod half way across the park before by not releasing that valve.

start with all taps closed and the low drain points after being opened to drain as much water back closed.

Then you can pressurize the system entirely with about 30 lbs air pressure.

Go to one set of taps and open one (1) tap (cold or hot but not both at the same time) close the tap and let the air pressure build again.

Open the tap again and repeat as necessary meaning if you are still getting water out of the line do it until you don't. then do the same with the second water line.

Let the pump work its magic. shut off that tap when the SOLID pink antifreeze flows out.

Repeat the process for all taps. ie. go to the bathroom and do the taps individually in there and the showers (inside and outside if equipped)

NOTE
I originally forget the toilet.
With the pump engaged depress the toilet peddle and flush the antifreeze through the system.
I leave about 2 inches of the antifreeze in the bowl

and pour extra down each drain to fill the P traps on sinks and shower drain as well.

we get down to - 40 and below here in the winter and haven't had an issue yet doing what I explained (including the originally missed stuff.)

shut off the compressor and open the low water points to rid of water.

I recap these lines or close the valves because there will be antifreeze in the low points as well.

then open the low point drains and ensure the pink runs out and reclose.

if Ive missed anything someone can step in please...

PS
I don't have an ice maker in my fridge so I'm glad that RASKW99 added that
Old 11-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #10

I also have a Sierra 5th wheel with the lg fridge and ice maker. The first year the dealer winterized it for me(part of the deal when I bought it, free winterization.). I asked several times how to winterize the ice maker. All they said was to use the valve under the slide. I was skeptical but had no problems with it the next season. The next season, I winterized using the same valve. Bad luck this time. My first time the following season, found I had a cracked water valve. Easy and inexpensive fix but had a bit of water to clean up. This season, I removed the valve completely and will reinstall next season.

Raskw99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve, winter, winterize