Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

Winterize with antifreeze inlet

Hello, my new ROO 233s has the antifreeze inlet. I understand how to use it thanks to logic, videos and comments from this Site... So thanks!
ill be winterizing soon for the first time perhaps this weekend. So, I get the draining of the lines, the draining the HW tank, the bypass the HW, the bypass the FW and filling the lines is pretty straight forward. However, here's my question. If I fill with the inlet will antifreeze end up in the section from the inlet to the pump? Also, will there be protection back up to the city water inlet? Any comment is appreciated.
Robliv44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Take The Road Less Travld

Hey rob,

Loving my 233s hopefully as much as you are. There will be antifreeze between the antifreeze inlet and the water pump which is fine but I don't believe there will be between the city water inlet unless while pumping the antifreeze, you take the screen out of the city water inlet and press on the center to release pressure and allow for flow. This is how you drain any water from the main inlet but I never did this while running antifreeze. I just turned on the faucets and such and made sure the city water inlet was drained of water. Hope this helps.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #3

Hi Robliv44, welcome!

As MauddauberE mentions, if you take the screen off the city water connection inlet there is a valve inside that normally only allows water to flow in but not out. If you press on it, antifreeze will flow up that section of pipe and out the city water connection to properly winterize that portion. Just a word of caution though that you should do this after the pump is turned off and much of the pressure released out through a faucet, otherwise the pressure is enough to either damage the valve or at least soak you with antifreeze, don't ask me how I know this You don't need much pressure in the line to get the antifreeze up. Press the valve until you see pink, done.

Don't worry about the section of hose between the fresh water tank and the pump, that will be drained enough by gravity, and the pump itself will be winterized with the winterization inlet to the pump.

My biggest tip though, is don't winterize yet There's lots of good camping left in the season, even in Ontario!!

Cheers,
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Take The Road Less Travld

I forgot to mention that as well. I'm in Ohio and it's at least late October early November before I start checking the forecast (farmers Almanac and local weather trends) as to when I'll winterize it. I hope to get more out of a trailer than a few month. The fall weather is about the best time to camp with the changing leaves and holiday camping. Plus when you're next to a camp fire in 90F vs 55F, its much more enjoyable. Just keep an eye on the weather. Once the frost starts on a regular basis in the morning, then start paying attention to when you'll winterize.
Happy Camping!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

THANK YOU both, I really appreciate the info. Just organized another trip out for the last weekend in September... So at least one more trip this year. It's my first year with a camper and I'm loving it! So hard to put it away! Again, thanks to both.
Robliv44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, winter, winterize