Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

Winterizing

I have a question regarding winterizing my 5th wheel. We have had a 5th wheel for 5 years now. I have always winterized the plumbing system with antifreeze. This year I want to try the blow out method. My question is. Do I still need to use the antifreeze after blowing out the lines?
Soxfan1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

I do both. The blow-out method is very effective and gets a lot of water out. The problem is, once the bulk of the water is blown out the air can blow past small amounts of water. Some water will remain, which can potentially freeze.

Once you use compressed air to blow out the majority of the water, it won't take as much RV antifreeze to get the job done, because you won't have to flush as much water out. The chances of dilution are much less.

Also, unless you drain them manually, you still have the p-traps to treat.

Don't forget:

All sinks, including outdoor kitchen
Shower
Low point drain
Black tank flush
Outdoor shower
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #3

First time winterizing..... what do you recommend for rigging up to blow out the lines? I have the compressor etc but have never had to worry about the pressure.
Navymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navymike View Post
First time winterizing..... what do you recommend for rigging up to blow out the lines? I have the compressor etc but have never had to worry about the pressure.
http://www.googleadservices.com/page...QvhcIKQ&adurl=

30-40 PSI, oil less is suggested.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #5

I only blow my lines out. First I open all of the taps and drain the points from the low point drains. I close all of the taps and low point drains. I set the compressor for 40 lbs and attach it to the city water inlet. I then go through and open each tap until no more water comes out. I usually do the toilet twice as it is last on the line and this let get the last bit of water out.

Don't forget about any outside shower or faucet. Also don't forget to drain the pump and pump screen. To drain the pump I remove the hoses and let the water run onto a large towel. I then hook it all back up.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #6

Black water tank

I have had my trailer winterized, they put a bit of anti freeze in the toilet.

Is it advisable to dump a gallon in the black water tank to keep it from freezing?

Thanks in advance for your answeres.
hlywud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Wow... this thread is all over the ball park with questions.

To the OP... you will get MANY, MANY different opinions about whether to add antifreeze after blowing out the lines with compressed air.

The decision is heavily dependent on your climate.
If you experience only a few nights/ weeks of sub-freezing temps, then you likely can get away without antifreeze. If you live where it gets below freezing for months, then I would certainly consider adding antifreeze.

I also do both... blow out and add antifreeze.
For the few minutes it takes, it is good insurance against something happening.

It only takes a small droplet of water trapped in a faucet cartridge or plumbing valve to create a problem that you will find come spring when you pressurize the system.

To the other questions (which should have really been asked in a separate thread)
An air plug is readily available that screws into the city water supply that you can connect to, to blow out the plumbing system with compressed air. Many folks also make their own. I did.

For the black tank... usually not much problems here as it should be drained and any residual liquid can easily expand when frozen without hurting anything. I always let a cupful or so of antifreeze run into the P-traps and then into black and grey tanks (from the toilet or faucets) when winterizing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

Everything has been blown out of all the lines, anti freeze added to all the traps, so I poured a gallon down the toilet into the Black water holding tank and also put some in the toilet bowl so it will not freeze.
Grey tank has been left open....

Is this ok?
hlywud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #9

I do both.. prob do not need to antifreeze after blowing but cheap insurance
tuscani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize