Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

Winterizing

I hope this doesnt sound stupid. I blow out my lawn sprinklers every fall to keep them from freezing. We live in Western MA. I don’t use antifreeze.

We now have a new Coachman Clipper Cadet. We are new to camping. Fresh water, gray water, black water all minimum number of gallons 25 and 30 gal. If I blow out the fresh water tank and drain the hot water tank and then open the sink and shower valves, do I really need to add antifreeze.

I know a number of members suggest after blowing out and draining, adding just a cup to each drain, sink shower. No one has said to put anything in the black and gray water tanks.

For the small amount of water that might be in your sink and shower traps why would it be necessary to put in the antifreeze? Water expands but it would seem to me that after blowing out the system there is plenty of room for the small amount in the traps to expand.

Ok I know I’m new. Am I right or am I wrong and please explain why.

Everyone here has been great and I appreciate all the advice I have already received.

Ken
KenFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #2

The traps often hold enough water that expansion could crack the pipe so why chance it? Antifreeze is very inexpensive.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #3

Traps will start to freeze at both ends at the same time. The bottom of the u bend will break. Also suck some pink thru the pump, you can't blow it out. That will take care of the small filter at the pump also. It is also a good idea to pump pink to the toilet or remove that valve and keep in house. One drop of water in it that freezes and you will be buying a new one. Some pink in the toilet will also keep the seal moist to keep the stink in the black tank. As for the different tanks, drain all per instructions, hot, fresh and close drain valves, reinstall plugs. Black and grey can have some few gallons in them ad lots of room to expand. I keep a clear adapter on the 3in drain so I know if a valve has leaked as if water freezes between the drain valve and cap, well it can be a "crappy " experience.
You will find a way that works for you and modify as needed.
Happy camping.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote