Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
Chuck P.
Winterizing 2013 Georgetown 327

I just drained my fresh water tank, but there still is about 1 1/2" of water at bottom. Planned on using compressor to blow out lines and then adding antifreeze at the fresh water tank inlet and city water inlet and pumping the antifreeze thru the wate pump. Concerned about the excess water in the fresh water tank diluting the antifreeze.

Any suggestions?

Chuck P.

chasphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
First I wouldn't add antifreeze to your fresh water tank. It will take forever to rinse it all out. As for the remaining water in the tank, use your levelers to raise the side opposite of the drain to get as much out as possible. The remaining will not cause any problems since there will be plenty of room for expansion. One other thing is don't forget your traps at the sinks and shower. I always pour some antifreeze in the top of the toilet to keep the seal from drying out.
As for using the water pump to move the antifreeze through the lines, your pump will have a hose attached to a valve prior to the pump along with the line from the fresh water tank. Turn the valve in the direction of the open hose. Place the hose in the gallon of antifreeze and the pump will pull it in and pump it through the water lines.
Close the by-pass valve at the water heater, you don't want to fill the water heater with antifreeze. Pull your anode rod and open the pressure relief so the tank will drain. Once it's empty put the rod back in and close the valve. I generally just hand snug the rod just to keep bugs out. I always rinse the tank out before i refill it each time.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
If you have the water filter in the plumbing compartment, there's two other things.
1. Remove the water filter before adding RV antifreeze
2. Purchase a "filter chamber cover" from your dealer. Install it in the filter holder before adding antifreeze and you won't have to fill the filter chamber with the stuff.

My dealer stated that you could have up to 1/3 tank of fresh water over the winter and the tank wouldn't burst from the water freezing. I still tipped mine up on the driver's side and got all of the water out that I could. I also discovered that the water feed from the fresh water tank to the pump is lower in the tank than the drain! I put the end of the antifreeze intake hose on the ground, opened its valve before shutting off the one for the fresh water tank, and was able to drain a bit more water out of the tank after the drain line had run dry.

The hot/cold low point drains in a 327 are a real problem if you intend to use the RV in below freezing temperatures. They stick out below the plumbing compartment and are in a prime location to freeze, even if you've taken steps to prevent freezing in the plumbing compartment. My solution is to add shutoff valves on both lines inside the compartment. With the inside valves closed, I can open the drains underneath and keep those sections of pipe dry.

pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote