Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Winterizing a 2006 Puma 27FQ

I bought a 2006 27FQ used this year and am wondering how I should winterize it. I can't access the hot water tank from inside, so I assume there is no by pass so I shouldn't put pink stuff through the lines. I can drain it, but not shut it off from the rest of the water system. I also can't access the water pump - how do I winterize it?

When I say "can't access," I mean the hot water heater and water pumps are behind cabinetry without an obvious removable access panel. On my Gulf Stream, I open a cabinet door in the master bedroom to get to the hot water heater by pass valves and I open a kitchen cabinet to get to the water pump. I have winterized it several times as well as a Thor Citation and a Fleetwood Tioga Montara. This Puma has me stumped, though.

The manual is not helpful at all either! Thank in advance!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Missing Link

Usually there is a panel with two screws to reveal the back side of heater. And on our puma there is a wood panel inside one of the cabinets that's needs to be removed to get to pump.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I remove a silverware drawer to access the bypass valve on my waterheater. It's not real easy. I also have to remove panels to access the winterizing connection on the freshwarter pump and thats why I use low pressure air. It's very easy. Just turn down the line pressure to 40psi, connect it to your citywater connection. Open the farthest connection, working closer to the citywater connection, ensuring each step all water is out and just air is expelling. Additionally you'll need to do the outside shower connection, remove the anode plug for the wtrhtr, and remove and drain any filters. Done it for years.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

In my Puma 253-FBS the bypass valve is behind a wooden panel that is reached through the cabinet that is under the kitchen sink. The panel is held in by two screws.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Thanks for your info! I couldn't figure out any way around removing the panel...you have confirmed that this is going to be harder than it has to!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #6

I had a 08 Puma FQ, and the hot water heater was under the bottom bunk. You could lift the bunk and get to the bypass vale from there. I don't know if they changed between those 2 years.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

Look under your reefer. My puma has 2 screws holding a pannel under the reefer and water heater is behind it. My fridge is in between the sink and bathroom kind of like the layout I seen for yours on the web. You can always look to see if water heater outside door is below fridge vent or measure distance from a window or corner or such
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote