Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

winterizing and water filter replacement.

I don't know if this will work for everybody but last night I winterized my 5er .
My hw heater was allready drained so I opened all taps and showers and then took the caps off the low point drains.
After about 20 minutes and a cold beverage I then turned on my water pump for about 15 seconds which allowed the pump to push 3/4 of the water out of the filter housing.
so when I unscrewed housing there was no messy water clean up.
I removed filter then proceeded with winterizing my camper.

Just an fyi!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

This year I decided to blow my water lines and when I went to remove the filter I found the cannister empty (nice surprise).

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
This year I decided to blow my water lines and when I went to remove the filter I found the cannister empty (nice surprise).
I suppose that could happen as well!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

When I did ours this year, I just opened the low point drains and then the taps. It drained everything including the HW heater and the canister for the water filter was empty as well and that was a big suprise.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #5

I winterize by blowing out the water lines, and so far (three times maybe) the filter has had no water in it. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #6

After I blow out the lines, I take a childs plastic pail that they use at the beach. I put it under the canister and unscrew it. The pail will catch any remaining water and I then remove the filter and put it in a zip lock bag in my house freezer until ready to use it next season.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
After I blow out the lines, I take a childs plastic pail that they use at the beach. I put it under the canister and unscrew it. The pail will catch any remaining water and I then remove the filter and put it in a zip lock bag in my house freezer until ready to use it next season.
I use a white kitchen catcher garbage bag around ours as it is a tight fit under the TV center.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
You reuse your filter?
I buy two pack replacements for under $15.00
Just wondering for the price why you would reuse?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I use an air compressor as well to blow out the lines after opening the low point and fresh water tank valves and everything has drained out. I remove the filter from the canister and replace the canister until I'm complete. I then close off all of the openings, pressurize the system [45 PSI] and then open one faucet at a time both hot and cold sides, kitchen, bath, both toilets, laundry hook up and showers [Inside & Outside]. Once everything is completely empty I pour RV Antifreeze into each sink drain and shower drain as well as an inch or two in each toilet. One very important item to remember is the screen filter canister at the water pump, found that one out a few years ago the hard way, unscrew it and dump the water. Now if you use the pump to dispurse RV Antifreeze throughout the water lines you can skip the canister because it will be pink with antifreeze.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #10

Due to the inconvenience of getting to the water filter in our 1809S Rockwood Mini Lite I removed the complete water filter assembly & installed a 1/2 to 1/2 pipe treadled nipple! Boy those blue filters that attach to your water hose are sure easy to use.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
I would suggest you do not re-use an old filter, for whatever reason.

They are some inexpensive filters I get at Lowes, and I change mine in the spring and put a new one mid-summer.

Just my 2 cents.