Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #1

Winterizing but Water Pump not Pumping

Hi All-

This is my third winter as a travel trailer owner and I ran into an issue that I have not experienced before and I was hoping to get some help from the experts. I went through the typical winterizing process of by passing the hot water tank, pulling the drain plug on the hot water tank, etc. When I got to the step of putting antifreeze into the water lines, I noticed the water pump was not drawing in the antifreeze. I have a bypass line that sucks the antifreeze into the water system and I triple checked the bypass valve was positioned correctly. It is worth noting that my TT is connected to a city water hookup at a campground that has shut the water off for the winter. Therefore there is no water supply and the fresh water tank is empty. I was under the impression that as long as the antifreeze bypass line was hooked up, I wouldn't need water in the system but maybe that is my mistake. I think my next step is going to be taking a bunch of jugs of water to the campground to fill the fresh water tank to see if I can get the pump to start pumping again, but if anyone else has any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

~Brad
BHobbs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #2

Check this thread for a similar problem and lots of responses.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=96927
Old 11-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #3

I have found on my trailer that I have to place the jug of pink stuff on a step ladder to get it higher than the connection point entering the trailer. With the jug on the ground the pump will not draw it. I assume it has something to with the head height rating of these pumps, it's probably very minimal.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeCamping View Post
I have found on my trailer that I have to place the jug of pink stuff on a step ladder to get it higher than the connection point entering the trailer. With the jug on the ground the pump will not draw it. I assume it has something to with the head height rating of these pumps, it's probably very minimal.
I have been using a 5 gallon bucket without issue.

Have you looked at the screen in the pumps bowl?
Old 11-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

my pump access is on the floor of my TT under the store. Generally when I am winterizing, the pink stuff is slightly above the pump. I have not had an issue with the pump drawing the liquid the past couple of years, so I am stumped this go around. I did not check the screen on the pump bowl, but I will add it to my checklist for the next go around.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

You can also hand pump the antifreeze thru the lines.
bigmac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #7

Your pump not working

Hey there everyone. I had the same problem this year already. It turned out to be the outgoing check valve was completely stuck closed ! Partly from the city water pressure against it all summer. There is an outgoing pressure adjustment that you can remove and try to gently pull the valve out. Clean up the o ring etc and reinstall. It has plenty of lift if the pump is working properly.
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #8

Pump not drawing pink stuff

Had same problem with 2015 Palomino. Had pump on for some time and nothing. Went to dealer and was told they also have problem but to keep pump on and raise the bottle. Did that and after a long time it started drawing and it only took a minute to have pink stuff flowing through faucet.
jrmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
Site Team

It is possible that there is still water pressure in the system. Try opening a faucet.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #10

Where is the outgoing check valve located? Is it on the pump? I will try and look for it.

There is no pressure in the system. When I turn the faucets on it is completely dry.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #11

Kink in the hose?
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #12

On my Rockwood I have a shutoff valve on the suction line going to the fresh water tank. It has to be closed in order to draw antifreeze
00boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #13

If I were you I would not leave water hose hooked to TT over the winter !!!
It will cause something to freeze & brake !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmorris View Post
Had same problem with 2015 Palomino. Had pump on for some time and nothing. Went to dealer and was told they also have problem but to keep pump on and raise the bottle. Did that and after a long time it started drawing and it only took a minute to have pink stuff flowing through faucet.
Sounds like that might have unstuck the valve as stated in #7. Interesting.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #15

I would check the water tank valves. Bi-pass open and the in and out closed. Put a plug in the city water inlet. Open and close all faucet one of them might have pressure on the line. Did you blow the water out of the water lines?

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #16

I put about 4 gallons of water in the fresh water tank and we able to get the system pressurized again. Thank for the tips. One follow up question.. I drained the fresh water tank and not much water came out. Should I be concerned that I have about 4 gallons of water in the 40 gallon tank for winter in Ohio?
Old 12-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #17

I would drain the tank then blow water lines out if it was mine.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHobbs20 View Post
I put about 4 gallons of water in the fresh water tank and we able to get the system pressurized again. Thank for the tips. One follow up question.. I drained the fresh water tank and not much water came out. Should I be concerned that I have about 4 gallons of water in the 40 gallon tank for winter in Ohio?

It might be the angle you are sitting on the ground that keeps it from running out. You could try repositioning it or driving around with the valve open. You won't see it drain while driving but if you stop along the way you might or might not see a water trail. Or you can have a chase car watch if you are intensely interestedly... Anyway, on level ground it should mostly drain out and a small bit in the bottom will be OK due to having ample room to expand. You don't want any water freezing in a valve though.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Tags
pump, water, water pump, winter, winterize