Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #21

Hmmm, similar prob with our Hemisphere. Called FR last year and they said put A/F in the freshwater tank and use the pump. Last year it worked, this year it didn't. I put 4 gallons
in and it wouldn't pump, just gurgle. Tried to drain it out, nothing either! Where did it go?
Anyway, my neighbor who used to own an RV park helped me winterize with air and blowing A/F through the system. We had a Hi-Lo that had a separate hose that you placed into the jug of A/F and it sucked it out into the system. I'm going to look into adding that to this one. I expected it to take my an hour and it ended up taking like 4!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yeah don't ever put the pink stuff in the fw tank....
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Yeah don't ever put the pink stuff in the fw tank....

X2 you will be flushing that pink stuff out for years. Don't worry about the FW tank freezing. Drain it down and let it freeze. Won't hurt a thing.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #24
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Won't freeze now, that's fer sure. If it won't drain out, you'll have to pump it out by adding and adding and adding water till it runs clear.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #25

Our winterizing hose is permanently connected on the inside, next to the fresh tank in the dinette seat. Not sure if it's stock, or if previous owner installed. This 3' hose is attached at a T in the pump suction line. The diverter determines if the pump sucks from the fresh tank, or that winterizing hose. There is enough room to set the AF just next to the tank, and the hose just reaches the bottom of the jug.

I suppose that's all an external winterize connection is, except it's connected to the side of the camper. Add another hose, and divert the pump inlet. Same thing, really.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #26

I would assume - without knowing how all these are set up - that your ability to pump low level water from the fresh water tank also depends on how level your unit is sitting.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I would assume - without knowing how all these are set up - that your ability to pump low level water from the fresh water tank also depends on how level your unit is sitting.
That occurred to me as well. The rig is level here at home and was level back at the campsite where we initially tried to winterize. Still nothing from the pump, which acted a little crazy last summer so we're thinking it is probably just kaput.

The good news is that a new pump came in the mail the other day. Hubby is going to install it and see how that goes. If the new pump also fails to draw the pink stuff up out of the freshwater tank, we will drain it out the bottom and use the winterizing valve to suck the antifreeze into the system from outside.

God willing, all this will be completed before the snow flies.

Theresa Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Bakker View Post
That occurred to me as well. The rig is level here at home and was level back at the campsite where we initially tried to winterize. Still nothing from the pump, which acted a little crazy last summer so we're thinking it is probably just kaput.

The good news is that a new pump came in the mail the other day. Hubby is going to install it and see how that goes. If the new pump also fails to draw the pink stuff up out of the freshwater tank, we will drain it out the bottom and use the winterizing valve to suck the antifreeze into the system from outside.

God willing, all this will be completed before the snow flies.

And I'm sorry but just to confirm since I don't see it confirmed in any of your posts, did you verify that the water pump is set to "normal" NOT "winterize" since although you are winterizing you now want to pump liquid out of the fresh water tank? "Winterize" only draws from the auxiliary winterizing tubing which normally would go in the antifreeze jugs to pump it out and into the lines.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
And I'm sorry but just to confirm since I don't see it confirmed in any of your posts, did you verify that the water pump is set to "normal" NOT "winterize" since although you are winterizing you now want to pump liquid out of the fresh water tank? "Winterize" only draws from the auxiliary winterizing tubing which normally would go in the antifreeze jugs to pump it out and into the lines.
Yes we did. We had never turned the pump valve to winterize, only used it to pump fresh water from the FW tank to sink/toilet/shower. And the pump had acted funny before, intermittently going out but always ended up working eventually. Alas, now it appears to have permanently given up the ghost.
Theresa Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
When our current rig was brand new we "ran out of water" while the little
red lights were saying 1/3 full. I put a bucket under my fresh water drain
and got out 9 gallons!!
Same experience with mine... "empty" meant the water pump stopped picking up, but because the pickup is too high (along with the bottom tank level sensor). There was still a bunch of water in the bottom of the tank, going nowhere, which would be pink antifreeze if I filled the FW tank with that stuff for winterizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I moved my pump suction line from the lower side of the tank to the drain port in the bottom. I didn't even have to get a longer pump hose as it was plenty long enough as is. All it took was a T and an all thread plastic nipple and about 15 minutes time....
Awesome! I need to take care of that project before next Spring. Got any photos you could post in a new thread? (What did you use to securely plug the original suction line hole?)
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #31

better yet throw away the pink stuff and just blow out yyour lines with air. Leave the pink stuff for the traps and toilets..
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize