Old 10-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

Winterizing Nightmare

Followed the directions in the owner's manual for 2013 Windjammer 3001W. Drained water heater, closed the H/W bypass valves, drained fresh water tank and replaced with 6 gallons of pink antifreeze. Hit the water pump switch (I'm still hooked up to electricity at this point) and open a faucet.

NOTHING.

Try again an hour or so later. Pump comes on but nothing comes out of any faucet. Let pump run for several minutes. Still nothing.

Rig is level and there is plenty of pink stuff in the tank. What's going on? Please help.

Freaking out a little, because in the immortal words of Eddard Stark: WINTER IS COMING!

Old 10-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #2

Drain F/W tank and hook up a hose to the Suction side of Water Pump! Then put hose in A/F jugs! Youroo!!

Old 10-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

Doesn't your Windjammer have a winterizing connection on the outside by the city water hookup? If so, I know what your problem is and will explain.

Bruce
Old 10-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #4

Yes there is, but it is not mentioned in the winterizing instructions in the owners manual. Is that for using a compressor to blow out the pipes? (We don't have one.)
Old 10-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Bakker View Post
Yes there is, but it is not mentioned in the winterizing instructions in the owners manual. Is that for using a compressor to blow out the pipes? (We don't have one.)
No. Now that you have the pink stuff in the tank, go over to your pump and you will see a diverter valve attached right at the intake of the pump. Flip it to the opposite direction it is in now and see if it begins to draw the pink stuff from your tank. If this works, I will take you farther along.

Bruce
Old 10-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #6

I'll need to put the slides out to get to that, but will check it out at the first opportunity. I'd be surprised if that was the problem though, as we have never moved that valve before, and we've dry-camped using the fresh tank without incident.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
Pickin' & Campin'

Six gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank may not be enough liquid to reach the pick-up tube for the pump. Reports of pick-up tubes being too high on the tank to completely get all of the water out are common complaints here.

You really shouldn't put the antifreeze in the fresh water tank anyway, especially if you have a winterizing/antifreeze port as it takes FOREVER to get it flushed out in the spring.

Drain the antifreeze back out of the fresh tank and back into the jugs using the tank's drain. Then use a short hose attached to the antifreeze port on the side of your unit to suck the antifreeze from the jugs into the system.

You will need to turn the valve mentioned above for the system to switch from drawing from the fresh tank to drawing from the antifreeze port.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
I'll need to put the slides out to get to that, but will check it out at the first opportunity. I'd be surprised if that was the problem though, as we have never moved that valve before, and we've dry-camped using the fresh tank without incident.
You're probably right since you've been using the fresh water tank.

Bruce
Old 10-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
That's your problem. The owners manual is generic and has no idea that your trailer came with a outside winterizing port.
I threw my owners manual in the trash because it's worthless.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #10

Um, I would hope you don't put the Pink Stuff into your fresh water tank. You will have to flush the heck out of it for doing that. Like the other poster stated, drain it back out now, flush and flush your FWT. Then use the winterizing circuit to get it done.

Tags
winter, winterize