Old 09-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #31
Originally Posted by TomStacey616 View Post
Depends on where you live. I live in Richmond VA and only use compressed air to blow out all my lines, drains, etc. Then add some pink stuff to the traps of the sinks,toilet and shower. Oh and 1/2 gallon to both Black/Grey tanks. Never had an issue (knock on wood).
Just my .02 worth.
Same here. I live in Northeastern Ohio and 30+ years of using only compressed air in the water lines and pink stuff in the traps and toilet bowl. No problems with any of my travel trailers or motorhome..

DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #32
I lived in southern Indiana where I owned 2- TT and a MH. I always used the compressed air method. Some of the winters the outside temps got down to -20.
Never had a problem. When I did the air, I tried to make sure all the water was out of the lines, toilet, shower, low water lines, etc. I did pour antifreeze into each of the traps - bathroom sink, kitchen sink and shower. I left a cup of antifreeze in the toilet. I have never put antifreeze into the water lines. So I vote compressed air only into the lines.

2015 Flagstaff 26VFKS
TV - 2014 F150 Crew Cab 5.0L
WDH - 1,200 Equalizer
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #33
Winterizing with Air

Always used pink until we years ago and then moved to compressed air. Quick note make sure you regulate your air to 40PSI or less to do the blow out or you can damage your system. No issues...make sure you don't forget the outside shower lines and pour pink in the sink traps and toilet. I've never put it in the tanks but could do no harm. I like it because it's clean in 5he spring purging to do. Good luck!
Filterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #34
Personally I favor the pink stuff. I used compressed air last winter and thought I did a really good job. I made a fitting for the water line to compressor and thought i drained everything perfectly. First trip this summer, flooded trailer pretty good. Apparently the toilet valve had water in it and cracked. Didn't leak till pressure built up in the system and I wasn't looking. Now I have cut the lines in so that it is easy to suck the pink stuff in and to close off the hot water heater. I don't think I will ever use the compressed air again. My son in law used compressed air and froze his outside shower valves. Not a nice thing. Just my personal experience.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #35
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
In NH I have always blown with air...then ran pink in and blown a second time. When just blowing there will always be a low spot that the vapor collects in. Many years ago I just used pink and left it in there. The system tasted like crap for the season. Since then I blow it out after.
I do the same. Never a problem and the water doesn't taste like crap in the Spring.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #36
In spring I flush all the pink stuff out and fill the water tank with water and a cup of Clorox sanitizing the system. I run the water to fill hot water and lines with the clorox mix then leave it for a day or two, then I flush again with straight water. Never had a bad smell or taste out of the system by doing this, and it should get done every spring anyway.
Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #37
Winterized in MI for the last 20 years , two different 5rs. Compressed air in water lines , 16 oz of pink in the drains. No problems. Make sure your low point drains are clear , use 40 psi one fawset at a time clear. Drain hot water heater, and don't forget the toilet flush.
Roy and Gail with Rosie and Toby lucky dogs
2013 Salem Hemisphere 286 RLT
2009 Silverado 2500HD

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:46 AM   #38
I always use anti-freeze. Don't forget to press the city water check valve to make sure yo replace the water in that line. stated here several places I always made sure in the past that I let enough pink through the faucets to fill the traps...

But.... I soon discover that our Sabre does not have conventional P-traps. Instead they used a waterless check valve sort of thing that does not retain any water or antifreeze.
Cathy & Jeff
Midland, Michigan
2013 Sabre 32RCTS / 2012 Ram2500 Hemi
Nights Camped: 2015-140; 2016-137 YTD; 160 Planned
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:43 AM   #39
Been using the pink stuff since the mid 1980s never had an issue nor bad tasting water. I drain as much water out as I can first then pump in the pink antifreeze. Doesn't take long........ then I have peace of mind......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #40
Agree with oaklevel, have used antifreeze for 20 yrs. No bad taste, no problems ever..i dont understand why anyone would take the chance using air...

2006 Roo 23B hybrid

1999 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4.8L with tow package
Rrickim63 is online now   Reply With Quote

winter, winterize