Old 09-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #51

Exactly nomad297! Everyone just has to use common sense on compressor size. I used my large upright compressor to winterize my 38' Winnebago for 15 years and never had a problem. You just have to make sure you only blow through one line at a time with full 50lbs. of air pressure. Start with the "furthest from the fresh water supply" and blow out that line first, working to the closest to the fresh water supply where you have the air connected. If done right you will get the water out of all those pockets where water may collect in the lines. Don't forget the water pump. I always turned it on in short pulses to pump it dry prior to using the air.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #52
TnT

I've always used the pink stuff never had a problem. Then in the spring sanitized the system so no problem with any smells or pink in the system. But that's me.

2016 F350 Dually
2014 Spartan 1032
2010 F250 it went to a new owner
2008 Harley Road Glide
TnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
Start with the "furthest from the fresh water supply" and blow out that line first, working to the closest to the fresh water supply where you have the air connected. If done right you will get the water out of all those pockets where water may collect in the lines. Don't forget the water pump. I always turned it on in short pulses to pump it dry prior to using the air.
Thanks for the how-to, makes perfect sense when you explain it that way and something I hadn't thought of (the order of faucets).

I have a small pancake compressor, but it pressurized to 100psi so keeping at least 50psi coming through the lines shouldn't be a problem... I don't mind waiting for the compressor to refill the tank a couple times along the way.
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #54

I use air a couple of times a season. We get cold snaps here in the fall that drop below freezing for a couple days. We take the rig out on weekends till the weather turns really bad so it would be way too much effort to fill and drain that many times with the pink stuff. Only cracked the toilet valve once, but that was a good experience because it only cost $23 and it sits in back of your mind every time you purge the system so you do a more thorough job.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #55

I also live where it gets to -30 often and have used only compressed air for 10 + years with NO ISSUES.
Be thorough in clearing lines ( cycle through twice) don't forget the outdoor shower etc and fill p traps and toilets with pink.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-B-REIL View Post
So for great results, I recommend buying purchasing Good RV Antifreeze, not the 99 cent stuff, and using it to winterize your coach. For less than $20.00 you can have piece of mind. Good Luck.
What is the "good stuff"?

It all seems about the same to me. Price is about the same depending on where you purchase. The lowest I've ever seen it was $2.49 on sale at Menards. Everywhere else is typically between $3 and $6.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #57

I used to use the non-flammable, propylene-glycol-based stuff (I could only find it under the Prestone brand) but that is getting real expensive. Got some left from last year but will switch to the ethanol-based stuff at half the price when that's gone. They're both manufactured by Recochem. In Canada, even the ethanol-based stuff is a bit expensive because the government taxes anything with ethanol in it at the booze rate because they think we're all going to try to distill hooch out of it.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:07 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
What is the "good stuff"?

It all seems about the same to me. Price is about the same depending on where you purchase. The lowest I've ever seen it was $2.49 on sale at Menards. Everywhere else is typically between $3 and $6.
Menards also has PEAK for about $1 more than The Splash !!!
Over the years I think Menards sale price is always the best price around !!! With me blowing the sys out first,,, I go with the Splash !!!
Picked up 4 Gallons yesterday !!! Our local sale is over 9/29 !!!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #59

As a new owner, last year was my first winterization, and I used the pink stuff. However, I have recently gained possession of an air compressor, and I am considering trying the compressed air method. Whether I also go so far as to add pink stuff I haven't decided (other than the traps, etc). But I have to ask, what is the process for using air?

I have seen at walmart and camping world, etc a piece that attaches to the trailer's hose inlet, that you can attach the compressed air line to. But before I do anything like that, I am confused about the process. I am concerned that the air pressure will do damage if I pressurize the system without taking the proper precautions. Should all of the faucets be open? Low point drains open? Should I have only one thing open at a time? I realize my questions may be a little ignorant, I just want to make sure that if I am going through the process of winterizing (to prevent damage), that I don't damage it in the process. LOL, cuz if that's the case, I might as well save myself some time and just let the cold do its thing...

Old 09-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #60

Just a couple of quick answers,,,
50 psi should not cause a problem,,, of course you must drain tanks first,,, bypass the W/H,,, start @ the farthest faucet first,,, one line @ a time,,, until you only get air,,,
DO NOT forget the Potty,,, and the outside Shower,,, You must make sure the Filter Canister is also empty !!!

Tags
winter, winterize