Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Winterizing-Question about temperatures

We dropped our 5th wheel off yesterday to have the roof inspected/caulked. We had planned to pick it up this afternoon and winterize it this evening, but have now decided to go ahead and let the service department recoat the roof while it's there (it has previous damage from a tree limb). The temperature Saturday night is supposed to be 31 and Sunday night 27. I looked at the hourly forecast and it only shows these temps for 2-3 hours. The daytime temps are in the mid 50s. It is currently 77 degrees outside. Do we need to worry about freezing for that short period of time? I hate to pay them to winterize while it's there if not necessary.

Thank you!
htpitts44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:52 PM   #2

I would let it slide. If you're close, you could swing by there and drain the water heater and remove the low point drain plugs. That would remove the pressure in the lines and you'd lose a fair amount of the water anyway.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpitts44 View Post
We dropped our 5th wheel off yesterday to have the roof inspected/caulked. We had planned to pick it up this afternoon and winterize it this evening, but have now decided to go ahead and let the service department recoat the roof while it's there (it has previous damage from a tree limb). The temperature Saturday night is supposed to be 31 and Sunday night 27. I looked at the hourly forecast and it only shows these temps for 2-3 hours. The daytime temps are in the mid 50s. It is currently 77 degrees outside. Do we need to worry about freezing for that short period of time? I hate to pay them to winterize while it's there if not necessary.

Thank you!
If it warming up during the day a couple of hrs will not hurt anything. I just got back from Ohio where the night temps dropped to 24 degrees at night for over 4 or 5 hrs. I was plugged in and ran a heater inside and that was it I was in temps like that for 4 nights but warmed to the low 50's in the day. I had no damage at all. You will get damage with a hard freeze and when temps do not rise during the day...Save your money..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
If it warming up during the day a couple of hrs will not hurt anything. I just got back from Ohio where the night temps dropped to 24 degrees at night for over 4 or 5 hrs. I was plugged in and ran a heater inside and that was it I was in temps like that for 4 nights but warmed to the low 50's in the day. I had no damage at all. You will get damage with a hard freeze and when temps do not rise during the day...Save your money..
You are probably right, I had a cracked toilet valve in the Puma this past spring, $50 later I had it fixed but it was due to me not taking my time and the temps hovered in the 30s during the day. $6 for 2 gal of pink antifreeze and a few minutes is worth it to me.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter