Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Unhappy Winterizing Question - Water Heater

Ok I know there are alot of winterizing questions and I'm sorry if this has been answered but I have a couple of specific questions regarding somethings.... All of these will pertain to my 2012 28DDS Coachmen Catalina Deluxe

Ok the water heater.... When going through the orientation of my new TT the tech couldn't answer if the heater ran off of both LP and Electric. Well while I was trying to get myself acquired with the TT and find everything I think I might have the answer. Yes it does have both. But I'm not for sure. This is my first TT I have ever owned. I'm use to "camping" in a tent so I'm all new to this side of things. But anyways here is a pic so please tell me if I'm correct in this.

Name:   Water Heater Switch2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  43.1 KB

Now I have read on the internet to go ahead and pull the fuse after your done winterizing for your water heater. No where in my documents does it say to do this, but is this a necessary thing to do or is it just precautionary?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

yes it will run off of electric and gas at the same time or just electric or gas separate .

dont pull the fuse just disconnect the battery .

Old 11-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #3

Thanks f1100turbo that helps out a bunch! I planned on disconnecting the battery and putting it in storage.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

st1cher one thing I would recommend is getting an automatic battery tender for your battery for the winter. make sure its automatic . And low amps .

I leave my battery in and camper plugged in all winter long but I store my camper in my shop . some people don't have that option . Some people will agree with me and some people will disagree with my methods of just leaving the camper plugged in . But I know it works and I will continue to do it .
You do what you are comfortable doing and you be fine !
Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

something similar to this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	batery tender.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	8996
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by St1tcher View Post
Now I have read on the internet to go ahead and pull the fuse after your done winterizing for your water heater. No where in my documents does it say to do this, but is this a necessary thing to do or is it just precautionary?
Really, what you need to do is switch off the power supply to the water heater at the breaker panel and/or the power switch on the outside of the heater itselt. This is to prevent any possibility of power to the element when the water heater is empty...you'll burnout the element in 5 seconds flat.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #7

Yeah I have one of those for my 4 wheeler that I'll have to find. I could plug mine up but I'm afraid of someone messing with it. Mine will be stored outside so I plan on getting a cover for it very soon.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
yes it will run off of electric and gas at the same time or just electric or gas separate .

dont pull the fuse just disconnect the battery .
Disconnecting the battery has nothing to do with the electric side of the water heater. See my previous post regarding protection of the electric element.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote