Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Winterizing Questions

I have a 2016 Surveyor 32 BHDS.. the model is likely not important for this conversation but I thought I would give it anyway.

I am ready to winterize the trailer; however, I have conflicting information and I am trying to decide how to proceed. The manual for the 2015 year (2016 is not posted but they seem generic so not for sure it matters) says to dump RV antifreeze in the fresh tank and use the on-board water pump to circulate it to each faucet.

HOWEVER, the dealer told me when I did my walk through that I would need to access the pump (which is behind/under the bathroom sink vanity cabinet) and use the suction side 3-way valve and attached suction hose to pull antifreeze from the jug to circulate through the system. I found the pump and the valve and hose are already installed. It came that way from FR so I feel like FR planned for it to be done this way.

Question - If I use this suction hose on the pump what happens to the suction line coming from the fresh water tank. I did use the fresh water tank this year. I have drained it but can I assume the suction line from the tank to the pump drains back to the tank? That seems risky since the fresh tank is in the front of the trailer and the pump is mid-way back.... sure seems like a long run of suction hose to leave potential water sitting in.

I would like to avoid putting the antifreeze in the fresh tank because it will take a lot more effort to flush the tank out in the Spring. If I need too though to make sure I don't have a suction line to replace I will.

Once I figure this out the rest I have no issues completing.. ie draining HW tank, etc.
Falcon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon72 View Post
I have a 2016 Surveyor 32 BHDS.. the model is likely not important for this conversation but I thought I would give it anyway.

I am ready to winterize the trailer; however, I have conflicting information and I am trying to decide how to proceed. The manual for the 2015 year (2016 is not posted but they seem generic so not for sure it matters) says to dump RV antifreeze in the fresh tank and use the on-board water pump to circulate it to each faucet.

HOWEVER, the dealer told me when I did my walk through that I would need to access the pump (which is behind/under the bathroom sink vanity cabinet) and use the suction side 3-way valve and attached suction hose to pull antifreeze from the jug to circulate through the system. I found the pump and the valve and hose are already installed. It came that way from FR so I feel like FR planned for it to be done this way.

Question - If I use this suction hose on the pump what happens to the suction line coming from the fresh water tank. I did use the fresh water tank this year. I have drained it but can I assume the suction line from the tank to the pump drains back to the tank? That seems risky since the fresh tank is in the front of the trailer and the pump is mid-way back.... sure seems like a long run of suction hose to leave potential water sitting in.

I would like to avoid putting the antifreeze in the fresh tank because it will take a lot more effort to flush the tank out in the Spring. If I need too though to make sure I don't have a suction line to replace I will.

Once I figure this out the rest I have no issues completing.. ie draining HW tank, etc.
If you have an air compressor set it to about 40 psi and then blow air back through that line to the tank and also open up the valve at the bottom of the fresh water tank too allow the air to go straight through, you will have to disconnect the suction at that "3 way valve" to accomplish this..I'd say that valve is actually a 2 way valve as per say..in open its straight through from the tank and in bypass it's suction from your antifreeze bottle..make sense?
5.7 litre Hemi 4x4
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

Yes that makes sense and you are correct.. its a two-way valve.. I misspoke. I did think about doing just what you said but of course the hose is crimped on the end of the valve so I can't just take the hose off. I could remove the crimp.. pull the hose off and then hose clamp it or put a new crimp ring on.. but wow what a pain.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:

If you do as you mentioned you will be good to go. Forget about the freshwater tank. Do not add antifreeze to it. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #5

When I do my winterizing I let the pump run with the fresh water tank empty. I found this got the water out of the line. I would open the low point drain and then run the pump for a few minutes.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #6

Don't know how yours is set up, but on Berkshires there is a hose that attaches to a two way valve at the fresh water tank and pump. I turn the valve off to the fresh water tank which opens to the hose and then turning on the pump pulls the antifreeze from the jug and circulates it through the plumbing system. I then open each valve in the system until the pink stuff goes through. Make sure you turn the valve off to the water heater to bypass it and drain the hot water heater. Hope this helps. I've got to believe that most set ups are similar.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Don't know how yours is set up, but on Berkshires there is a hose that attaches to a two way valve at the fresh water tank and pump. I turn the valve off to the fresh water tank which opens to the hose and then turning on the pump pulls the antifreeze from the jug and circulates it through the plumbing system. I then open each valve in the system until the pink stuff goes through. Make sure you turn the valve off to the water heater to bypass it and drain the hot water heater. Hope this helps. I've got to believe that most set ups are similar.

Rich
I think the OP is more concerned about what happens to any water sitting in the line between the freshwater tank and the pump. My setup is like yours...turn the valve and it pulls from the antifreeze jug. I have never concerned myself with any water sitting in the line from the fresh tank and the pump, and now this post has me concerned. I have never had a problem though, so I am thinking the line from the pump to the tank just drains itself back to the tank??? Unless the low point drain takes care of that?
Old 10-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
When I do my winterizing I let the pump run with the fresh water tank empty. I found this got the water out of the line. I would open the low point drain and then run the pump for a few minutes.
Happy Vibe - I like this approach. If the pump will pull fluid out of a jug then it should pull any water out of the suction line if you let it run for a few seconds.... just have to be careful not to run it too long dry... I am sure the pump is not designed to run dry for very long.

I will think about this approach and see if I am comfortable with it. I don't like the idea of cutting the crimp ring off just to blow the line back to the tank.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
I think the OP is more concerned about what happens to any water sitting in the line between the freshwater tank and the pump. My setup is like yours...turn the valve and it pulls from the antifreeze jug. I have never concerned myself with any water sitting in the line from the fresh tank and the pump, and now this post has me concerned. I have never had a problem though, so I am thinking the line from the pump to the tank just drains itself back to the tank??? Unless the low point drain takes care of that?
WFD - the concerns you are having now is exactly why I posted. I am thinking though most RVs are setup this way so either the water in that line drains back to the tank or like Happy Vibe said if you run the pump for a little bit with the fresh tank empty it will pull any water out of that suction line and push it forward.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #10
Commercial Member

I have a 2016 Class-C by Coachmen. Our 2008 Freelander had what I thought was a great set-up from the factory with suction or fill tank or city water selected in a "water box) and three valve handles.
The 2016 now requires me to empty my basement storage and after climbing in I have to remove a wood panel that is 5' long then try amd move multiple electric cables to get to see the water pump.
The FR instructions wants me to disconnect the inlet side of the water pump and then make a suction line to suck antifreeze into some of the water lines.
I know I could install a special valve but I still am concerned about having many feet of water line that is not protected.
Here is what you system seems to be. Note I believe there is a check valve between the pump and the line that goes from the city water inlet to the various sinks etc.

My concern is that line A & B which are maybe 8' long will have no antifreeze protection. Also Line C at about 4' has no antifreeze protection. I really don't want to have to somehow get antifreeze into the Fresh Water tank. This isn't mentioned in the instructions from FR.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #11
WFD

Quote:
WFD - the concerns you are having now is exactly why I posted. I am thinking though most RVs are setup this way so either the water in that line drains back to the tank or like Happy Vibe said if you run the pump for a little bit with the fresh tank empty it will pull any water out of that suction line and push it forward.
Falcon....I can only assume that it empties out back to the tank since I have never winterized it and never put antifreeze in my fresh tank and haven't had a problem in 4 years...too late for me to run pump dry before adding antifreeze as I have already winterized...short of starting over, and my thought is since I have not had a problem in 4 yrs, I should be ok.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post

I think I see what you're saying. I have drained my fresh water tank with the low point drains so that the inlet to the pump is dry. I don't have any water in the inlet, so no concern about freezing. What I did have a concern with was getting antifreeze into the fresh water tank because the way mine is set up, it is impossible to totally drain it. To solve that issue, I have left the valve open to the antifreeze suction hose and will flush that next spring before turning the valve back to the fresh water tank.

Rich
Old 10-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I have a 2016 Class-C by Coachmen. Our 2008 Freelander had what I thought was a great set-up from the factory with suction or fill tank or city water selected in a "water box) and three valve handles.
The 2016 now requires me to empty my basement storage and after climbing in I have to remove a wood panel that is 5' long then try amd move multiple electric cables to get to see the water pump.
The FR instructions wants me to disconnect the inlet side of the water pump and then make a suction line to suck antifreeze into some of the water lines.
I know I could install a special valve but I still am concerned about having many feet of water line that is not protected.
Here is what you system seems to be. Note I believe there is a check valve between the pump and the line that goes from the city water inlet to the various sinks etc.

My concern is that line A & B which are maybe 8' long will have no antifreeze protection. Also Line C at about 4' has no antifreeze protection. I really don't want to have to somehow get antifreeze into the Fresh Water tank. This isn't mentioned in the instructions from FR.

I have the same setup in my TT. It is line "B" I am most concerned with but I think I have two possible solutions in the post above. I am certain on my TT that line "A" drains into the fresh tank and holds no water once the tank is drained. Line "C" is a concern but I saw a procedure online that said you should remove the small screen on the inlet of your city water connection and push in the check valve that is right at the connection point. This lets the antifreeze flow backwards and out this line. I don't know if that is true of FR's but I will check before I start the process. If it is not then I will need to blow this line out with air before adding antifreeze. If you blow the system out 1st from this port then you would not have to worry about it since this line would be empty. I was just hoping not to need to worry about blowing the system out.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #14

Thank you all for all the ideas and discussion. I think I have some good ideas and feel good now about winterizing. I hope this thread helps someone else too! I am a 1st time RV'r this year so its all new. My wife and I went to a show in January (Indoor) to look around and came home after ordering one... it has been fun and we look forward to many more years of camping.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:24 PM   #15

I've been doing it for a couple of years and it is a continuous and (mostly ) enjoyable experience. This forum and the great people on it were a large part in my decision to buy Forest River and I've never regretted it. The help that I've gotten here has been immeasurable. Enjoy!

Rich
Old 10-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
WFD

Quote:
I have the same setup in my TT. It is line "B" I am most concerned with but I think I have two possible solutions in the post above. I am certain on my TT that line "A" drains into the fresh tank and holds no water once the tank is drained. Line "C" is a concern but I saw a procedure online that said you should remove the small screen on the inlet of your city water connection and push in the check valve that is right at the connection point. This lets the antifreeze flow backwards and out this line. I don't know if that is true of FR's but I will check before I start the process. If it is not then I will need to blow this line out with air before adding antifreeze. If you blow the system out 1st from this port then you would not have to worry about it since this line would be empty. I was just hoping not to need to worry about blowing the system out.
Falcon...I can confirm that removing the screen and depressing the tab indeed causes antifreeze to flow back...just stand off to the side, cause it comes back with pressure, and if you are standing in front of it you will get hit! Don't ask me how I know this!!!!
I do blow out all my lines prior to winterizing, so my only concern is the line from the fresh water tank to the pump.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Well I see a couple of potential problems.
1. If you only blow out Line A you have to hope / assume there are no low points between the hose connection and entry to the holding tank.
2. You also have to hope / assume the drain from the FW tank to the pump has the pump at the lowest point in that line.

I have read some posts (don't remember where) that someone discovered his factory line from FW tank to pump was high enough on the FW tank to leave 9 gal of water in the tank. If an RV company thinks that is a good way to run water lines I'm not sure if I can trust that the water pump is a low point.
In my coach I think the pump and the FW tank both sit on the same floor level, so unless the water line if fixed to the floow there will almost certainly be a low point in that line that can't be either sucked dry or blown out.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Happy Vibe - I like this approach. If the pump will pull fluid out of a jug then it should pull any water out of the suction line if you let it run for a few seconds.... just have to be careful not to run it too long dry... I am sure the pump is not designed to run dry for very long.

I will think about this approach and see if I am comfortable with it. I don't like the idea of cutting the crimp ring off just to blow the line back to the tank.
I just had to remove the crimp clamp and suction hose in my setup to install the winterizing kit.. Didn't have to cut anything, the clamp is reusable.
5.7 litre Hemi 4x4
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #19
WFD

I had drained my fresh water tank last week a few days prior to winterizing, and left the drain open a couple days. After blowing out my lines and doing the winterization process, I reopened the fresh water drain today and was surprised to see about a half gal or so of water drain out. I can only assume that by blowing out the lines, one of those lines drained back to the fresh water tank...
Old 11-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #20

not to hijack, but another question I have about winterizing is this, after you drain the holding tanks (black and grey), when you run the faucets putting antifreeze in until they run pink, doesnt that put water back in the tanks??
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize