Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

Winterizing Setup Question

I know it is still summer. I have a kit to attach to my water pump so I can pump antifreeze straight from the jug. Before I make this mod, does the method work as simple as described? Does it negate the need to blow out the lines with air?

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #2

I don't. U are pumping the water out till u see the antifreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
the-the-the- The GRINCH!

X2.

I installed the same setup on my '08 Roo - worked like a charm! No need to blow out the lines if drained completely and antifreeze is put in place of water.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #4

Had it on my old trailer I still use an air compressor to blow lines out first, then add antifreeze using the kit you talked about. Mostly to put antifreeze in the pump and to get the water out of low spots that the air won't get out. By doing it this way it uses less antifreeze. If you just put the antifreeze in it mixes with the water weakening it so you need more to protect it.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Engineer of Crazy Train

X2 what mark said. Since I modded my water tank where the suction is at the low point drain, I disconnect the hose to drain and then suck the antifreeze through that hose.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Had it on my old trailer I still use an air compressor to blow lines out first, then add antifreeze using the kit you talked about. Mostly to put antifreeze in the pump and to get the water out of low spots that the air won't get out. By doing it this way it uses less antifreeze. If you just put the antifreeze in it mixes with the water weakening it so you need more to protect it.
I use 10-15 bucks in antifreeze to winterize my trailer and I don't blow the lines out first. I pump in the antifreeze until it runs thoroughly pink in every plumbing outlet and dump some down the traps. Just went through the coldest winter in 30-40 years here and all is functioning fine this summer.

Some people tend to over think things.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 AM   #7

Had on my last two rigs. Went from several gallons, to just one to do the whole job. I did see a review on amazon once about these bypass kits reducing normal water flow, but I couldn't tell. I just used the CAMPCO brand. I did have to use a longer intake on my motorhome because the one that came with the kit was too short. In my case, I had an extra had held shower head hose. The threads were the same, so I just used it instead of the one that came with it. My detailed review Amazon.com: Profile For MSans1: Reviews (Camco 36543 Pump Converter Winterizing Kit )
Sans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #8

Thanks all. I just installed the Camco kit. Took all of ten minutes including finding the pump.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I use 10-15 bucks in antifreeze to winterize my trailer and I don't blow the lines out first. I pump in the antifreeze until it runs thoroughly pink in every plumbing outlet and dump some down the traps. Just went through the coldest winter in 30-40 years here and all is functioning fine this summer.

Some people tend to over think things.
I use 2 gallons 8 bucks tops after It has been blown out
Old 07-13-2014, 01:21 AM   #10
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I know it is still summer. I have a kit to attach to my water pump so I can pump antifreeze straight from the jug. Before I make this mod, does the method work as simple as described? Does it negate the need to blow out the lines with air?

I don't typically blow my lines out with air. I drain the water heater, open the low point drains and then open each faucet and let gravity remove the majority of the water. I then close the faucets and low point drains and set the system up to pump antifreeze through all the lines, opening each faucet one at a time until pink flows into the drain and also flush the toilet until pink flows. I do the same for the low point drains, black tank rinse, and then remove the screen from the city inlet and push the check valve in to clear that line as well. I then pour another cup or so of antifreeze into the shower drain, each sink p-trap and also add a little bit more to the toilet/black tank. After that, I typically will unbypass the water heater for a second or two to clear any residual water from the inlet line.

Typically, I can do the whole unit with about 2 gallons of antifreeze and when done, I have the water system pressured up full of antifreeze.

Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize