Old 10-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
he's talking about the black tank sprayer/flush line that cleans the inside of the tank. I use my outside shower hose connected to the flush, then pump it through with the on board water pump.
Yes I understand what he is saying but it's straight line to the tank spay fittings. So I can't see how adding antifreeze to that line which is nothing but garden hose for a better word would even stay in the line? It would just dump into your holding tank. Blowing it out is good enough IMO. This is not a pressurized line or plex. it is just a rubber hose line. How does it stay in your line, there is no shut off to build pressure back? There is a check valve but it's the opposite it will allow water through it but will not hold water or antifreeze in this case back to the inlet, it will just drain into the tank.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #12

To be on the safe side, adding antifreeze will ensure the line and the sprayers are protected. It was recommended to me, doesn't cost but a few cents, and I've done it for years and not had a problem. And having antifreeze in the tank is a good thing too. So, now there are alternatives for the original poster. Geez, this is too simple an issue on which to debate the merits of 5 cents worth of antifreeze.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallsmi View Post
To be on the safe side, adding antifreeze will ensure the line and the sprayers are protected. It was recommended to me, doesn't cost but a few cents, and I've done it for years and not had a problem. And having antifreeze in the tank is a good thing too. So, now there are alternatives for the original poster. Geez, this is too simple an issue on which to debate the merits of 5 cents worth of antifreeze.
Does anyone go out to their lawn and apply AF to each sprinkler head?? The flush line is an upside down U with a built in vent in the middle, It cannot hold water after the hose is removed.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

You sir, are decidedly troubled.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #15

Quote:
You sir, are decidedly troubled.
Certainly not trying to be, just trying to help folks save some work, the shower drain often fails cause its not free to drain.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #16

Quote:
I don't think it's a debate as much of how other people do it. The OP asked a question and is getting opinions. How do you keep the antifreeze in your line, that's my question? If the black water flush line was a problem and could be done then when you add antifreeze through the fitting supplied it would fill and stay in it. Mine doesn't. So I blow it out, There is no no dumb question the only dumb question is the one you do not ask. I don't see your debate, but people are tiring to help each other on there practices.....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
WFD

I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of making an adapter for the outside shower head for the sake of getting antifreeze into the flush line if it's not going to stay within the system and just drain into the tank...when comparing to yard sprinkler heads, all they do is simply blow the lines out, so I thought that would work with the flush line as well.....anyhow thats what I ended up doing and now the trailer is going into storage for the winter, so sure hope having done that will suffice.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #18

Gljurczyk, The "debate" comment was directed at VinceU who was not content to explore options, and let the OP decide which would be best, but rather to denigrate and "debate" an option I proposed (see the snide comment regarding sprinkler heads). If people can't offer options/opinions on this forum, it becomes worthless as they will refrain from posting from fear of being flamed. So I propose we all sit back, take a deep breath, and shake virtual hands.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #19

For what it's worth the black flush line on my 3008 Wind Jammer does retain water in some sections of the line due to the loops in it and where the check valve is mounted. Seeing as this is the first year with one I used antifreeze instead of air. Would the air get all the water out? Probably and I may try that next year.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #20
WFD

The bottom line is that it's really too bad manufacturers don't provide an easy way to get antifreeze into the black tank flush lines...seems absurd that one would have to rig something up on their own to use the outside shower in order to get antifreeze in there.

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank, winter, winterize