Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #1

Winterizing with just air in cold climates

So this being our first year with a TT I was wondering if I could use the same process that I used with our little 8' camper.

I always just blew the lines out with the air compressor and didnt bother with any anti-freeze. I have done some searching on here and found a few others that do the same but not to sure about doing it here in Alberta.
It gets really cold here and I'm a little worried.

Just looking for others that go the air only route in very cold climates??
I intend to put the pink stuff in the traps of all the drains but would rather not put it in the lines if I dont have to.

Thanks
Hilgy
Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #2

It gets below freezing here so I will respond,If you know for a (FACT) that the air removed all of the water,just use the air. I sleep well by knowing I also used (Anti-freeze) ! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm from WI, not Alberta, so this might or might not help you.

I've done both AF and air and both worked equally well. I personally believe that, if I am comfortable that I have truly blown out the system leaving little water in the lines, than there is little to freeze so there is little expansion.

I have read from one of our Canadian members that they like to use both methods. That is, they flush with AF and then blow out the water lines thinking that at least any residual liquid will have some AF in it.

Good idea to plan on AF in the traps and to keep the toilet seal from drying out.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I do both air and antifreeze. I blow my lines with a bicycle pump (don't like the looks of what comes out of my air compressor condensate drain), fill with antifreeze, and again blow the lines. It is had to get all of the water out of the low lying places....the air can blow over top, leaving a little water behind. Better safe than sorry.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick replys guys. I like the idea of blolwing out again after the AF. this would leave very little AF in the lines but would make sure anything missed has AF in it.

Problem solved thanks guys
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #6

In Colorado, blowing out with air has worked for me the last two years. Use about a gallon of AF to pour in the drains.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #7

I live in the Denver metro area up against the foothills. I've been blowing out the water lines with air on my campers since 1998. Just make sure drain everything. I missed the outside shower one season and found the results on first trip of the following spring. Drop a little AF in the P-traps and done.
Weeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Anacortesians

Just make sure you by-pass the WH. It takes forEVER to get the taste of 6 gallons of pink stuff out of the heater!