Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Would like to get the opinion of the Group

Last year I had my 36CKTS at the dealer for him to fix the main slide for the 3rd time, plus to repair the J-wrap on the curb side that was crumpled. Due to the time it was taking for these items to be completed I requested that the dealer winterize my trailer. They did. After picking it up I took it out to Topeka Indiana to have the front and rear caps replaced. Since I thought the trailer was winterized I told the repair shop in Indiana I was in no hurry to get it back. They called me in January and told me that while they had the trailer in their shop a large amount of water came out of the bottom of the trailer. They investigated and found the black 1.5" pipe from the gray tank to the drain valve had shattered from freezing. Had them repair it and wrote to the dealer that did the winterizing asking for a refund and for them to pay for the repair.
My reason for asking for them to pay for the repair is it is my understanding that winterizing a trailer is to ensure ALL water is removed from all the lines it could be in including draining the tanks. Since they blew out the water lines, that water had to go somewhere. That would amount to about 1.5 gallons of water based on the amount of antifreeze needed to fill the lines. If you don't at least drain the gray tank where's that water got to go but to sit in the tank/drain line.
The dealer's take on this is that they don't drain the tanks and don't feel they are at fault for not draining the tank.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?
Steve
AURORASTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

You would think a normal individual would drain everything if it is being winterized. I agree with you the water has to go someplace and that place is the tank. So I would think once all lines were blown out they would then drain the tank. While lesson learned don't use that dealer ever again and trust know one when it comes to doing what they say they did.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:01 AM   #3

This depends on local municipalities. We have an outside drain that connects to our sewer line. It was designed and installed solely for the purpose of draining customers black/grey tanks for winterization.

Early last year we were informed that we cannot use that drain anymore. Turns out that since an rv is not a "permanent standing structure" while it is being stored or serviced, we cannot dump the tanks in our lines.

I have to note on the work order that "Water lines were drained and winterized, could not complete winterization due to waste tanks were not drained by customer."

If this is the same situation your dealer is in, his hands are tied.

However the dealer should have informed you.
email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would not expect them to drain the tank but I would expect them to put some antifreeze in the tank. As you are putting pink stuff through the lines it should be entering the grey tank. I do all my own winterizing though as I have heard too many horror stories from dealers winterizing trailers.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:42 AM   #5

When I winterize my TT I open the low point drains. Water from the lines exits from those points.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

I dump and flush out all the tanks at the dump station in our storage facility, then I use air also to blow out all the lines, clear faucets, empty the filter cup and pump. Then I pour antifreeze down to fill the P-traps and get some in the holding tanks. The last thing I do is to open the low point tank drains and then leave them open. I would have dumped and flushed all tanks before taking it to a dealer for repairs and/or winterization; perhaps you did but you didn't say.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

If a dealer has done it right then there should have been enough antifreeze that went into the gray and black holding tanks. Sounds like that they just blew lines out and never added the antifreeze. I'd go for a refund at least. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
You would think a normal individual would drain everything if it is being winterized. I agree with you the water has to go someplace and that place is the tank. So I would think once all lines were blown out they would then drain the tank. While lesson learned don't use that dealer ever again and trust know one when it comes to doing what they say they did.
X2
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #9

x3. My Forest River manual recommends that when winterizing, you should pour 1 gallon of RV antifreeze into each holding tank.

I used to blow my water lines out with air, but after a problem with the shower faucet stem blowing off on the first camping trip a number of years ago. After opening all the low point drains, and draining the tanks, I now blow out the lines with air, then run RV antifreeze through all the lines and faucets. I have 3 holding tanks, 2 gray and 1 black, it takes 5 gallons of RV antifreeze to winterize it now, 2 to flush the lines and 3 to add to the holding tanks. 5 gallons x $3.00 (buy it on sale at Walmart or other stores) = $15.00. Which is cheap insurance, instead of broken water lines fittings & drain pipes.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #10

I always leave some fluid in the black and grey tanks. About 4 gals of water and 1 gallon of antifreeze. Not taking chances on pyramiding inside the tanks.

Bottom line is that the dealer should pay for not informing you that you were getting less than they committed to doing.

Agree they probably didn't even use antifreeze.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #11
Boondocking Only

Yes they messed up/didn't do it right.,
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #12

Guess you found another dealer weasel, and you trust them to do any repairs. Black pipe is solid, precut at manufacture and not as forgiving as Plex tubing, I wouldn't wish this on anybody.