Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #1

Yet another regulator question

I am well aware of the Watts adjustable regulators but was curious is there any reason to stick the the Watts $$$ when Valterra seems to be making a similar regulator that is rebuildable as well? I will go with the Watts if it is in fact worth paying 2.5x as much as the valterra.

https://www.valterra.com/product/adjustable-water-regulator-brass-lead-free-carded/?pcat_id=1229
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Exclamation

If you are talking about the Valterra Water Pressure Regulator with readout dial (around $65 at Camping World)...don't waste your money on it.

I'm on my second one now, and it did the very same thing that the first one did...the needle somehow has gone all the way backwards to the back side of the little pin stop that is suppose to keep the needle from going below zero.

I believe it is still regulating the water pressure, but not really sure since the needle is all the way past the highest pressure reading and on the wrong side of zero.

And again...this is the second one I've had in a little over a year with the same exact issue.

I was told by fellow campers that this unit is junk...but I didn't heed their warnings!

Attached Images

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If you are talking about the Valterra Water Pressure Regulator with readout dial (around $65 at Camping World)...don't waste your money on it.

I'm on my second one now, and it did the very same thing that the first one did...the needle somehow has gone all the way backwards to the back side of the little pin stip that is suppose to keep the needle from going below zero.

I believe it is still regulating the water pressure, but not really sure since the needle is all the way past the highest pressure reading and on the wrong side of zero.

And again...this is the second one I've had in a little over a year with the same exact issue.

I was told by fellow campers that this unit is junk...but I didn't heed their warnings!

Curious. This is the one I use for full timing the last 2 years without a hitch. I use the oil filled gauge model.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:38 AM   #4

That is the oil filled model.

Piece of junk.

I'll take a photo of it tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #5

I went to HOME DEPOT and got a full size Watts adjustable house type regulator and got adapters to use on hoses. Works very well and has full flow.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
llr

if it is just the gauge and the Watts is 2.5x higher it sounds like buying the Valterra and replacing the gauge if needed is the better option.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

I got a Watts fixed 50psi regulator and some fittings (for connecting to spigot) for less than $55 at Lowes. I also use a 5/8 hose from the regulator to help maintain volume. What's the point in an adjustable regulator. Can't get more out than comes in and if high most likely would adjust to 50psi max anyway.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:

I'm on my second one now, and it did the very same thing that the first one did...the needle somehow has gone all the way backwards to the back side of the little pin stop that is suppose to keep the needle from going below zero.

The gauge on ours goes out every 3 years or so, a replacement is available for under $5 to $10 everywhere plumbing supplies are sold. It takes less than 5 minutes to replace.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #9

The Valterra is the oil filled. Valterra website does have a rebuild kit as well. I have no problem paying for quality if there is in fact a noticable difference.

I did look at home depot at the watts but by the time I got all of the adapters to add a gauge as well as hose fittings it would have been pretty pricey as well as pretty large compared to the watts shown below from rvwaterfilterstore.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180328-141937.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	166473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180328-145320.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	166480  
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #10

For $60+ dollars, I would think that one should get more than two or three weeks worth of camping out of the Valterra before we have to start sinking money into rebuild kits.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
The Valterra is the oil filled. Valterra website does have a rebuild kit as well. I have no problem paying for quality if there is in fact a noticable difference.

I did look at home depot at the watts but by the time I got all of the adapters to add a gauge as well as hose fittings it would have been pretty pricey as well as pretty large compared to the watts shown below from rvwaterfilterstore.com
I have been using mine for years. The rule is that when you unhook water hose take regulator off and stow it. Don't want to drive off and leave it!

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #12
King of the Road

Quote:
That is the oil filled model.

Piece of junk.

I'll take a photo of it tomorrow.
Huh. Well, like I said i full time and have used this for 2 years without a problem. Except for when on the road or Wally world camping overnight it's always hooked up to shore water, psi's range from 30 to over a hundred (Flagstaff AZ !!!!!!) I don't see having to replace it any time soon, but ya never know.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:

I bought a replacement gauge at he local farm store, lawn irrigation section for less that $10.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #14

This one was recommended to me. Looks just like the Valterra. I ended up with Watts because I didn't need a gauge on the regulator, my gauge is in the wet bay.

https://www.amazon.com/Renator-M11-0...sure+Regulator
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote