Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Yuk - Where is this leaking from?

I have a Forester 2861DS and I opened the driver side compartment where the water pump is and found brown liquid. Fortunately it didn't smell, so I don't think it was black water. I removed the plastic cover from the top of the compartment and can see that there is a small leak from where a blue PEX line goes into a flat tank. Attached are pictures of the open compartment with brown liquid and another of the tank which is the top right of the compartment.

What is this tank and why is the water brown? I don't think it is a black water tank and I wouldn't think it would have a PEX line in if it was. Also, the leak is very slow and I don't think it would have produced that much liquid, but there is indeed a small drip (see red circle on photo) coming from where the PEX enters the tank. The shower is also above to the right of the tank, but I can not see any other evidence of water.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	105386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	105387  
mrmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
Jack of All Trades

Looks to be the black tank flush.

Will probably need to remove the flange and reseal the connection.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
Canadian Member

It looks to me like the black tank flush inlet. It looks like there is a flex line attached in the back where the blue PEX turns away from the camera. But if it doesn't smell like the black tank I could be wrong.

The seal on the bottom of the connection looks suspect.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #4

I hadn't thought of the inlet being the black tank flush. Maybe if it is the flush leaking then it didn't really 'smell' but that could explain why the water was brown. I will try flushing the tank and see if it leaks more heavily - right now it is barely a drip and doesn't seem like it could have resulted in that much water. If that is it, what would I use to reseal the flange? It didn't seem to be leaking from the hose connections, but rather the very bottom of the flange looked like the sealant didn't completely cover the circumference.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
Carknocker Family

Make sure your black tank is empty before making this repair. I believe when you hook your water hose to the flush you are going to find out how bad it's really leaking. Brown water IMO is from the water getting on your support brackets and then dripping to the floor. IE, rust
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Director, FROG

I just spoke with one of the folks in our Class C service division and sent him the link to this thread. He confirmed, as others have suggested, that it is the black tank flush inlet where you've circled the leak.

You'll need to drain the tank and re-seal the inlet with a butyl or silicone sealant. Even at the risk of having a little more dripping, you probably will want to flush the tank as completely as possible before attempting to reseal it.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for the responses! I will flush the black tank later this week to empty it out and confirm this is the leak.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #8

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmilo View Post
I have a Forester 2861DS and I opened the driver side compartment where the water pump is and found brown liquid. Fortunately it didn't smell, so I don't think it was black water. I removed the plastic cover from the top of the compartment and can see that there is a small leak from where a blue PEX line goes into a flat tank. Attached are pictures of the open compartment with brown liquid and another of the tank which is the top right of the compartment.

What is this tank and why is the water brown? I don't think it is a black water tank and I wouldn't think it would have a PEX line in if it was. Also, the leak is very slow and I don't think it would have produced that much liquid, but there is indeed a small drip (see red circle on photo) coming from where the PEX enters the tank. The shower is also above to the right of the tank, but I can not see any other evidence of water.

Thoughts?
If this is a new unit,,, let the dealer fix it !!!
Damm shame we can't buy an RV with out a few leaks !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak