Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #1

'04 Rockwood Freedom 1910 has no 12V Power on battery

I just got a 2004, Rockwood Freedom 1910. When I have the camper plugged into 120V power, the lights work in the camper. When I unplug the 120v shore power line the lights will not turn on.

Here is what I checked:
1) Battery is fully charged
2) Fuse at battery is fine
3) All DC Fuses in WFC power panel are good
4) Tested running jumper cables from my car to the battery to verify that the battery power was fine.

So, any other ideas on what I should check?

Mike
mooselips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 AM   #2

Look for something similar to this that is connected in series to the battery cable in close proximity (within a few feet) of the battery. It should have a small reset button.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #3
Site Team

X2 on the ShortStop (circuit breaker). Just be aware that they can hide them in some out of the way places. As Boondocking said, it'll be somewhere near the battery either on the tongue or under the RV on the frame somewhere.

Also check the reverse polarity fuses in the converter. It should be the bottom fuse. Be sure to test it and not just look at it. Sometimes they don't look blown when they are.

If it's not any of the above remove the converter and check all the electrical connections on the terminals. be sure all power is OFF and disconnect the battery.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #4

Thanks. I will look for the circuit breaker again. I followed almost the whole power line back and didn't see it last night (I found that option when searching the forums for solutions). I have a 20 amp fuse right off the negative of the battery.

I will test reverse polarity fuse too. They all passed the visual inspection, but I will do a continuity test.

If all else fails, I guess I am pulling the panel out and looking like you suggested.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
X2 on the ShortStop (circuit breaker). Just be aware that they can hide them in some out of the way places. As Boondocking said, it'll be somewhere near the battery either on the tongue or under the RV on the frame somewhere.

Also check the reverse polarity fuses in the converter. It should be the bottom fuse. Be sure to test it and not just look at it. Sometimes they don't look blown when they are.

If it's not any of the above remove the converter and check all the electrical connections on the terminals. be sure all power is OFF and disconnect the battery.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

Good luck and let us know what you find.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #6

Well, I looked behind the electrical panel and found the source of the problem. A family of some rodents must have taken up residence, gorged themselves on my wiring, and then died of decadence.

I will clean it up soon and rewire the system while adding some USB ports, lighter outlet, and maybe a power disconnect for the battery.

I had no circuit breaker on the frame, just an ATC fuse holder btw.

Thanks everyone for your help. I also found the rot around the front, driver's side hold down clamp is actually about 3 ft wide and includes the corner, but I will probably hire out that repair just because of time (I have many other construction projects to finish now like a tree house I started and my own house that I am just finishing).

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2736.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	118163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	118164  
Old 08-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Team

Thanks for letting us know what the problem was, as ugly as it is.

The damage doesn't look as bad as it could have been. You should be able to fix that and clean the wiring up while you're at it.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #8

You are welcome. It will be an easy fix now that I found the problem. It was such a simple system I couldn't figure out what could be wrong.

I am rewiring it as soon as I can get my electrical tool kit back. I ordered a triple plate with a voltmeter, USB ports, and lighter socket along with a momentary switch.

I will wire them up and use the momentary switch between the power and the voltmeter so it won't drain all the time.

- Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Thanks for letting us know what the problem was, as ugly as it is.

The damage doesn't look as bad as it could have been. You should be able to fix that and clean the wiring up while you're at it.

Tags
battery, power, rockwood