Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 719
I have a 950 watts (peak) generator. It does not supply enough ooomph for the trailer with no load for some reason (I turn the converter breaker on and it goes to overload mode) I connect it to my battery with a battery charger and it keeps it charged just fine. So I am guessing yours should do just fine too. I was running the battery charger in 15 amp mode.
__________________

__________________
2009 Ford F-150 XLT/XTR 5.4l, CrewCab. long bed
2011 Surveyor SV-291
Goomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
950 peak is only 7.5 amps which stands to reason as the on board converter is 1-8 amps.
With low batteries the converter is most likely drawing a peak 8 amps.
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 719
Not to derail the OP's thread but, when I got my new battery, I had it charge for over 24 hours via the converter, and tried it again and same thing happened. I am guessing the converter peaks at start even with no load and trips the generator.

I want to purchase something which shows the amps the trailer draws just out of curiosity.



Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
950 peak is only 7.5 amps which stands to reason as the on board converter is 1-8 amps.
With low batteries the converter is most likely drawing a peak 8 amps.
__________________
2009 Ford F-150 XLT/XTR 5.4l, CrewCab. long bed
2011 Surveyor SV-291
Goomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
Not to derail the OP's thread but, when I got my new battery, I had it charge for over 24 hours via the converter, and tried it again and same thing happened. I am guessing the converter peaks at start even with no load and trips the generator.

I want to purchase something which shows the amps the trailer draws just out of curiosity.
Yes converter goes directly into bulk mode.

Pm sent.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
I briefly used a little 2 cycle 750 watt genny for battery charging.
I plugged in the trailer to use the on board converter/charger to charge
batteries.
The genny was pulling hard and after about 5 minutes it's overload kicked
out. After some thought I realized my refrigerator was on AUTO.
This meant as soon as I plugged in the trailer the fridge went from LP to AC.
The AC heater in the fridge draws a few amps by itself.
When I switched the fridge from auto to LP only, the genny was then able
to handle the load.
( I gave that noisy thing to my son for emergency use at home.)

If you are using a genny that is near max load be SURE your fridge is set
to LP mode and not auto mode!
ALSO DON'T FORGET your water heater probably has an AC heater!
You want to make sure that puppy is shut off so it's working on LP only
as well.

At that point you should be able charge by plugging in the trailer directly
to the genny.
I still like the stand alone charger method because my onboard converter
drops off peak charge too soon and it takes at least a few hours to finish
charging. If I'm on genny power I want it to top up the batteries as soon
as possible so I can shut it off.

And finally-- if you have a stand alone charger you can start your charge
on a lower amperage- one a 1000 genny can handle easily. Once the
batteries are partially topped up you can switch the charger to max and
it won't overload your genny.

Sorry- didn't mean to be so long winded!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I briefly used a little 2 cycle 750 watt genny for battery charging.
I plugged in the trailer to use the on board converter/charger to charge
batteries.
The genny was pulling hard and after about 5 minutes it's overload kicked
out. After some thought I realized my refrigerator was on AUTO.
This meant as soon as I plugged in the trailer the fridge went from LP to AC.
The AC heater in the fridge draws a few amps by itself.
When I switched the fridge from auto to LP only, the genny was then able
to handle the load.
( I gave that noisy thing to my son for emergency use at home.)

If you are using a genny that is near max load be SURE your fridge is set
to LP mode and not auto mode!
ALSO DON'T FORGET your water heater probably has an AC heater!
You want to make sure that puppy is shut off so it's working on LP only
as well.

At that point you should be able charge by plugging in the trailer directly
to the genny.
I still like the stand alone charger method because my onboard converter
drops off peak charge too soon and it takes at least a few hours to finish
charging. If I'm on genny power I want it to top up the batteries as soon
as possible so I can shut it off.

And finally-- if you have a stand alone charger you can start your charge
on a lower amperage- one a 1000 genny can handle easily. Once the
batteries are partially topped up you can switch the charger to max and
it won't overload your genny.

Sorry- didn't mean to be so long winded!
Correct kydan

Fridge on a/c mode 5-8 amps
Water heater in a/c mode 9-13 amps
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.