Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 11:13 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to pokyjoe48 Send a message via MSN to pokyjoe48 Send a message via Yahoo to pokyjoe48
1 Battery?!

We just bought a 2018 Rockwood 2618vs ultra lite and didn't notice at the time that the trailer only has a spot for 1 battery. I'm looking at other V nose trailers in the Forest River line and it looks like they all have the 1 Battery set-up. I like the trailer and want to put a second battery on the trailer but I'm having a tough time figuring where the heck to put it? And if there's anyone with a V nose that has already added the 2nd battery. HELP!!

A good traveler has no fixed plans
And is not intent on arriving...
pokyjoe48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:35 AM   #2

Assuming you have underbed storage, install 2 AGM batteries there.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to pokyjoe48 Send a message via MSN to pokyjoe48 Send a message via Yahoo to pokyjoe48
The only problem with that is, the trailer is a rear bedroom.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

Just curious as to the need for two batteries? Do you boon dock?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #5

Almost all RV's come with only one battery. I'd have been more surprised if you'd said you just noticed it could hold two.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #6

Check out one of my previous posts. There are photos of mine and several others as well. We find two 6 Volt batteries useful and have a generator to top up if they run low.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

I have a 3006WK and built a tray from angle iron for two 6V batteries. I had to leave a gap between the batteries or the boxes would hit the V nose and the jack. The tray measures 26" long inside. I had to mount it as far forward as possible to clear the nose. Plenty of room for the propane access doors to open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170815_095208.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	148292   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170815_095202.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	148293  
Growman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #8

We do boondock on several occasions and all our rv's have had 2 batts. Sorry I haven't responded to quickly, with the eclipse and a busy weekend. I'm still toying with the idea of a single 100 amp group 31 lithium and maybe a little solar to recharge during the day.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:46 PM   #9

Be Careful with Lithium batteries

We have all seen the pictures and videos of exploding cellphones powered by Lithium batteries. These little jewels can generate enormous heat when discharging and charging if not done properly.

Your charger in the trailer is not too likely going to work as a Lithium charger.

I saw the "pointy nose" trailers on the lot when we were looking at a new TT but didn't look too close as we wanted to stay in the 25' range. Any room within 3 feet of the single battery you currently have? If so, mount a box, match the battery you have and get some #4 minimum or better #2 cable to hook them together. Make sure you take the load cables from the trailer/tow vehicle and attach the positive to one battery and the negative to the other. This will equalize the drain from both batteries.

On the solar issue, be sure to calculate your approximate daily usage from your load and then figure out how much solar you are going to need to recharge it is about 4-5 hours. For example if you use 30 Amp/Hours a day then you are going to need about 120 watts of solar to recharge this load in the time. Most days are not 100% sunshine and trees and clouds can really reduce the power output of panels.

I have a Lithium jump start battery that I really love because it fits in a glove box but I don't have any experience with a large Lithium battery. They do charge totally different (Constant Current vs Constant Voltage).

Good luck.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokyjoe48 View Post
We do boondock on several occasions and all our rv's have had 2 batts. Sorry I haven't responded to quickly, with the eclipse and a busy weekend. I'm still toying with the idea of a single 100 amp group 31 lithium and maybe a little solar to recharge during the day.

I'm fixing to buy a set of 100ah lithium batteries from Battle Born. The great part about lithium batteries is that they can be discharged deeper than lead batteries, weigh less, and charge faster. With the deeper discharge, you can get away with fewer batteries.

They're also particularly well suited to solar charging.

If you contact Battle Born with your converter make and model, they'll tell you how well suited it is for charging these lithium drop-ins. You might need an upgrade there, but a basic converter that's compatible isn't too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
We have all seen the pictures and videos of exploding cellphones powered by Lithium batteries. These little jewels can generate enormous heat when discharging and charging if not done properly.

There are multiple types of lithium batteries. The type blowing up in cell phones have nothing to do with the ones being put in campers.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
We have all seen the pictures and videos of exploding cellphones powered by Lithium batteries.
The lithium batteries for RVs are totally different chemistry than the one for handheld devices.

Personally, I don't think the lithiums for RVs are ready for prime time.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:01 AM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Personally, I don't think the lithiums for RVs are ready for prime time.

Why not? I've been reading reports of people using them for years now in both RVs and boating.

The drop-ins are relatively new and that's where I'm not positive about them (but am also fixing to make quite an investment in the experiment).
Old 08-24-2017, 01:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Why not? I've been reading reports of people using them for years now in both RVs and boating.

The drop-ins are relatively new and that's where I'm not positive about them (but am also fixing to make quite an investment in the experiment).
That's the problem...super expensive to be a guinea pig. I have heard of many failures so not ready to plunk down all that cash on something that has way less reliability than a proven technology.

I don't want to be up on the road to Alaska and have those things fail.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That's the problem...super expensive to be a guinea pig. I have heard of many failures so not ready to plunk down all that cash on something that has way less reliability than a proven technology.

I don't want to be up on the road to Alaska and have those things fail.

Supposedly the cost to longevity and number of charges brings the mythical "unit price" down to be more in-line with AGMs. But, it's hard to swallow $900-1,300 per 100ah battery.

But- as long as the drop-ins have a respectable BMS, they should be fairly solid.

What failures have you read about? The only thing I've really read is that they are a little persnickety with operating temperatures and it shortening their usable life.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:03 AM   #15

I was in the same situation as you and ready to get them but I changed my mind. I will see if I can find where I read reviews of failures.

Tags
battery