Old 09-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
Southwestern Newbie

100 watt solar install

Here are some pics of today's partial install. We didn't finish bc it was losing the fun factor as temps rose up towards 100. It looks like my install will be total about 4 hours when finished next Saturday. It took longer than expected bc of a few snags pulling wire (through a void below the nightstand and into the front storage passthrough). Today we: 1. marked out the panel location 2. marked positive/negative on solar panel frame in case we lost tags during install since its easier to do this than lift up panel after secured. 3. installed leg mounts on sides of panel installed solar panel with fasteners and a healthy amount of dicor. 4. mounted Morningstar controller in front closet of TT 5. pulled wire to the charge controller from the roof. 6. Then we pulled wire from closet down into the front storage compartment. 7. Next we sleeved the wire protective sleeve protectant shell and secured it to the aluminum frame across top of storage pass through to where the marine shutoff will be mounted.

Misterdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
Southwestern Newbie

We are installing a marine shutoff so when the rv is stored the marine shutoff will turn off the draw from camper so solar panel only has to charge batteries and not supply to draws such as monoxide alarm, clock in the stereo, etc. But for some reason the shutoff was missing a screw and some nuts. I also needed a different bit of wood for mounting the shutoff than we anticipated so that's when we called it quits. Next week we will install two new battery boxes onto a recently installed two battery tray, mount the shutoff in the storage compartment, connect shutoff to the battery and reground the trailer side of the shutoff. Then it will be ready for our trip coming a week from Wednesday up to 7500 feet for some chilly night campfire fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3269036702.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	20039   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1142610153.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	20040   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4232789534.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	20041   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2708474605.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	20042   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-786017846.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	20044  

Name:	image-3294904913.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	20045  

Misterdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Southwestern Newbie

We finished up the solar install today. First we took out a little protector panel in the front storage bin that was protecting the wires coming in from battery. Then we installed a block of 1x6 to the back of it so it would have adequate support for the marine shutoff. Then we pulled the original positive from the battery into the marine shutoff and ran a new wire from shutoff to battery insulating with plastic protector where needed. On that same post we also connected the incoming line from solar panel so I can shut off the draws from trailer when storing but still have solar charging batteries. Then we fastened shutoff to block. (Note of caution: always tow trailer with switch in on position bc in an emergency, if you lose your trailer due to a decouple, the electric brakes won't be able to engage because there won't be any power if you've lost connection from TV and are in shutoff mode.). Next we installed the two battery boxes to my new two place battery box using 1/4 in bolts 1 inch long with fender washers inside box and locking washers underneath. We connected the positive lead from shutoff to positive lead on one of the batteries. Next we connected two jumpers (positive to positive, negative to negative) to hook the batteries in parallel for 12 volts. ( We got the cables and boxes from the local Wal-Mart). The last step was to connect the positive lead from solar panel to the charge controller to complete the circuit. The solar panel was sending about 17 volts of power to the controller which was knocking that down to 14.4 to the battery for charging. I didn't have the new 2nd battery with me so we used the old one to finish but I am installing another new battery to go with the other new one tomorrow since I didn't want a new battery hooked to an old one. Hope that helps some folks out. It isn't a short job, but we weren't hurrying, either. I trimmed up any excess plastic insulator and cleaned up. It's all working beautifully, and we are off to take a trip in three days
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2680145549.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	20347   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1591511201.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	20348   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2680689487.jpg
Views:	82