Old 07-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #1

110 problem

We have a 2017 Flagstaff 21FBRS. On our third camping weekend trip, we had no electric at our plugins inside the camper. There is one GFI plug in in the bathroom that the other 5 plug ins are connected to. It kept throwing the breaker. My husband wired around the GFI so that we could have electric for our weekend. Has anyone had this problem or any ideas to correct? My husband is replacing the plug ins with normal new plug ins including the GFI one. He has not found the problem. He believes there is a dead short like maybe something rubbed a wire raw or a screw was ran in to a wire at the factory. Any suggestions?

gdoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #2

If the GFCI is tripping there is a problem. Most likely ground and neutral bonded together. Being a 2017 might be a warranty claim.

If there is a short as you mentioned bypassing it is stupid move. Think of your kids, grand kids dog taking a leak on the cord for the patio lights. This is a life hazard situation.Maybe the GFCI is just bad? Try a new one.

Sorry for the harsh critique but safety is important.

B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #3

This is what I've done in the past. I took the advice of an old electrician. We removed power from the rig, then took the covers off all outlets in the circuit, and then blew out all the outlets with an air compressor. This worked on one rig and never had another problem.

On the second rig we ended up replacing the actual GFCI outlet to correct the problem.

Something to try before replacing everything. Hopefully it's not a short in the wiring caused by a screw.

Good luck!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #4

We used a cord with a breaker when by passed so was done safely. We replaced the GFI. The warranty would probably cover it, but it will be more than 2 weeks to get in and over an hour away to take to the place and we had planned to camp this week.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoogs View Post
We used a cord with a breaker when by passed so was done safely. We replaced the GFI. The warranty would probably cover it, but it will be more than 2 weeks to get in and over an hour away to take to the place and we had planned to camp this week.
You sound like you are handy with electricity you may consider doing what I did and adding two circuits to keep from having all your receptacles on the same 15 amp circuit.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:07 AM   #6
Usually Confused Member

GFI units are notorious for failure, especially in damper locations. I replaced two of them at my 20/30/50 amp pedestal for the RV. When the second one failed I took the advice of a good electrician and spent the extra bucks for a "weatherproof" unit. Never had a problem after that change.

The GFI in the RV failed once and I replaced it with the weatherproof unit. The electrician told me that hot showers in the tiny bathrooms we have can cause early failure because of the steam/high humidity they create.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #7

We haven't gotten to shower in it yet. We bought a much better one and replaced it first thing. I guess we will make the appointment and try to get the warranty done. Just hate a brand new unit with problems. Thanks all.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #8

Made our warranty appointment with Camping World 2 weeks ago, went in for our appointment on a Monday, told us couldn't get to it until Wednesday or Thursday, then it still may be a few days before they could work on it, then getting it fixed unknown time line because it was whether or not the warranty would pay. Needless to say, we brought it back home. My husband has found which wire it is, but trying to figure out how to get it out and back in is our problem. Unfortunately, it is the wire trapped with the tanks.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Camper

If the breaker is tripping then it is not a GFCI issue unless it is a GFCI breaker. If the breaker is tripping it is either a dead short or an over current situation. Does the breaker trip as soon as you reset it and turn it back on? Does the breaker trip when you are using an appliance or light?

You said you wired around the GFCI and the other outlets worked. What exactly does that mean?

TV - 2006 F350 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #10

He has determined that it is a dead short. He is not with me to explain the wiring around.
He did the ohm meter and got the dead short figured out.