Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #1

110v AC in slide out

Hey We had a blow out a couple weeks ago that ripped the plastic underside in the wheelwell out. Luckily it didn’t do any cosmetic damage to the outside of the wheelwell.
But I wonder what engineer decided it was a good thing to run electrical wire under the plastic through the wheelwell?
When I stopped I had wires hanging down. Mainly 12vdc going to the slideout lights etc. I was able to put all that back together just fine.
There was also a 110 ac Romex type wire that was hanging about a foot. I found that it went to an outlet under the dinette in the slideout that of course now is dead. The wire hanging down is about six feet from where the outlet is.
I think the blowout ripped the 110 wire completely out of the wall.

Does anyone know how they ran 110 into a slideout? I’m sure it was a stranded type wire possibly running in the same way as the 12vdc wire is.
What I fear is that there may be no way of running the wire back in and I’ll loose that outlet. Not that big of a deal I guess. I only used it to plug my laptop into.
I’ve since temporarily disconnected where that piece of Romex connected to another outlet so it’s not hanging with 110 to it.
All my other outlets and 110ac things are working fine. Just that one outlet is the issue.
This is in a Puma 31fkrk if that matters any.
Thanks!
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Site Team

There should be an SO (extension cord looking) cable ran in the wire support and loom going from the main body into the slide. It should be at one side of the slide. If you can find that, you should be able to reconnect it and have the receptacle back working.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #3

Plus 2 on the j-box. the Romex had to transition to a rubber flexible cord. Look for a 4" square metal box with a blank cover on it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
There should be an SO (extension cord looking) cable ran in the wire support and loom going from the main body into the slide. It should be at one side of the slide. If you can find that, you should be able to reconnect it and have the receptacle back working.
X2
For flexibility of running the slide in and out, manufacturers use SO service cord (sometimes SOOW or SJOW) in the flex arm bracket and then connect it to an inside junction (near the outlet) to a short piece of Romex that terminates at the the wall outlet.

You'll need to see what all is missing. Maybe even the flex arm?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #5

Thanks for all the replies. The flex arm is still there. The plastic wire ties that held the wires had all broken. The 12vdc wires were hanging. I don’t see anything like the 110v rubber type wire. I’m afraid that what may have happened is when the wires were hanging but still moving the tire ran over them and totally yanked them out of the camper. There is nothing under there except that one short piece of romex.
I’m going to get back under and check it out again. Maybe I missed something but when we got to the park we were going to stay at I spent a couple hours under putting the 12vdc stuff back and taping up the underside for the ride home. I still need to fix that more in a permanent way.
I’ll do some more digging around. Hope I just missed it.
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
110v, slide, slide out