Old 07-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #21

IMHO, the better way to connect two 12v batteries in parallel is with a selector/parallel/cut-off switch. You eliminate the parasitic drain of the weaker battery by not having them both always hooked in parallel, you can drain one and still have fresh one, or if needed, connect them both. Recharge times are slightly better too.

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #22

From everything I have read about batteries the first figure is the right one. Look at 12 volt side of life website. Anyway it's the way I hook up my batteries. I have two separate banks of batteries, four six volt batteries each.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #23

While there "may" be a negligible difference between the two connection diagrams, the first is correct. It's not just the cable, it's connections as well. After 6 months to a year with significant loads and recharge cycles, the second battery in scheme #2 will have "loafed" and will be in a different state of charge and lifetime than the first. Equal line lengths is pretty simple to achieve...why argue about it?

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #24

This discussion is making me crazy! If you look this up on any battery seller's website, or battery manufacturer's website, or take an electrical seminar with Gary Bunzer, you will see that the second illustration is the right one.

In the first one, the connecting wires create additional resistance to current flow, making the second battery work harder than the first. Why would you want to stress one battery more than the other?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #25

You are correct. Lacking numbers on the attached thumbnails (i.e. who's on first?"), the connection layout where the positive goes to one battery and the negative goes to the other is correct!!!!

2015 335DS
Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #26

I'd like to see the meter you guys are using to read the difference from one end of an 8" long piece of battery cable to the other.

If everyone is so worried about the connections, resistance, current flow, loafing batteries, or another working harder in a parallel set-up, why even connect the two together.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Will you ever notice? Nope.
Agreed. Unless we're talking about large banks, which most people don't have, it's negligible. Doesn't matter. It's all academic at that point and 95% of people will never notice a difference. You could probably put a banana peel (or half a coconut, and apple, and three bananas) two inches to the left of one of the batteries and counteract the impact of wiring them incorrectly in parallel.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #28

Probably true that it won't make much difference with small battery banks, but why deliberately do it the wrong way if you don't have to? In most things there is a right way and a wrong way. Not a whole lot of gray area here.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #29

X2...my thoughts exactly. It is just as easy to do it right...

2015 335DS
Old 07-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #30

I was just pointing out that it's kind of a pointless argument. Both are "right". One may be more efficient than the other, but probably won't make a difference to the vast majority. Having said that, I wired mine for opposite corners when I was on 12V, so I'm not arguing, lol.

Tags
battery