Old 06-05-2016, 11:20 PM   #1

12 volt items dead on battery but working from 120 is

Trying to chase down some issues with a new to me 2008 Palomino Yearling 4124 pop-up. When hooked to 120 volt shore power everything works the way it should. If I unplug the shore power then the battery does not kick in to power the 12 volt items. I know the battery is new, fully charged by both battery tender reading and multi-meter readings (12.9 volts across terminals).

I did test and replace the inline fuse just off the battery. The fuses in the converter for those circuits are all apparently good. I've inspected them all and logically if they were not good then the lights and water pump wouldn't work off 120. each circuit has an alarm when the circuit is lost (it does fire off when the fuse is removed) and all are reading good.

I followed the positive off the battery and it appears intact under the frame and up into the converter space. I found no other in line fuses that would explain the loss of power from battery to converter.

So what am i missing or have misunderstood? Can anyone recommend what to test and the readings I should see. I can handle a multi-meter but don't always know what I should be seeing where. If anyone can direct me to what to be looking at as a culprit I'd appreciate it.

Finninan

Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 AM   #2

How about your ground to the frame?
Take the negative cable off of the battery and test to the frame.
Travel safe

Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 AM   #3

What is the voltage at the battery when you are plugged into shore power? If the battery reads 12.9 when not connected to 120 volts, it should read at least 13.25 when there is shore power. I see that you have a battery tender, right now it sounds like the battery is disconnected from the 12 volt circuits and the converted is working just fine...but the battery is disconnected.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

Battery cut off switch?
Popped circuit breaker?
Bad ground?

Good luck!
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #5

Scott, the battery is connected during the test. It was hooked to the tender after I bought it a week ago until I installed it to test that it was powering the systems. I checked that the battery had a full charge before install to ensure it wasn't a case of trying to get a dead battery to power the system

Right now the leading contender is the wires coming off the battery are sub-par. I'll replace the ground and maybe the positive including the inline fuse. I will try to replace all the fuses I can find as well, including the reverse polarity protection. All seemed ok but it's a cheap move to ensure they are removed from the equation.

I'm looking at the schematics for the converter (WFCO 8712 or 8725) to understand where to test for current under what conditions.

And I'm sure I could have overlooked something. Just can't quite figure out how the battery is the only thing not hooked into the system correctly. This is why my brother became and electrician and I did not. (He's not local and knows nothing of camper wiring. I'd like to get this at least narrowed down before dragging him into my hobby.)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #6

Here are the two manuals for the 8712, still sounds like the battery is not connected.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WFCO 8712 5-3-Operator-Manual1.pdf (774.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf WFCO 8712 5-3-Installation-Manual1.pdf (708.1 KB, 20 views)
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #7

is the battery connected properly? Trailer are not always like cars.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #8

Up and working

Not sure the final cause but it's all up and working now. I replaced all the fuses to make sure none appeared OK but were actually out. I also replaced the ground strap from the battery to the frame since it was bent at the loop terminal as well as showing corrosion on the frame, the screw, the terminal and the wire. I replaced the loop terminal for the positive line battery as well. I also reconnected the wire nut for the three wires tying the battery power into the camper. Now everything seems to work as expected. I still guess the ground wire but who knows. One of the fuses may have been bad and just wasn't obvious or indicating a trip. Now I have the piece of mind knowing every fuse in the converter and the inline from the battery are all new.

Thanks to all who helped. I'm sure I'll need more and will gladly pay back with any of my limited expertise.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #9

Glad you got it fixed, you can check the fuses with an ohm meter.

Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, battery