Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

K thanks! I'll have to look at srvc panel, n see if there are open circuits to use. I don't really want to remove the under belly protection,(some kind of coated corragated material) unless absolutely ness. To make a home run,from batt box.
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #22
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
When you add 12v outlets,do you find existing, line and add too it? or run new, if new from where? direct from batt? or srvc panel?
The power distribution panel (in the converter where all the AC and DC fues are) had a couple spare 12v 15amp fuse locations where I wired in my additional 12v power outlet for my inverter.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #23

Okay..
So lets say I want to add a standard power receptacle but have it powered by the 12v batteries. The outlet will be outside the camper and will only have awning lights and/or electronic chargers plugged into it. What sorts of things do I need to look out for?

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #24

I added two marine style water resistant 12v power outlets at each wheel area for my air compressor and for lights if needed. Also added one at the hitch area for misc. lights or air compressor for my air lift bags on my truck.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #25
Explorer

DC/USB charger

I added to DC outlets for the kids BH but I wish I would have seen the DC outlets that incorporate a USB charger too, I saw them on the CampingWorld site. Oh well the kids will have to charge “old school”.
I pulled power from the 12V lights so that was easy and I put up wall baskets to store and keep the wires up out of the way. Trying to get 12V outlets down near a table or counter could be tough. I would look at 12V wall switches or 12V water pump switch, maybe they would be close to a counter top.
My DC outlets were to deep so I had to add an offset wood plate but they look great could not have planned it better to begin with. The wood matches a wall-step I built to easer get to the top bunk.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCoutletLayout_web.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	26166   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCoutlet_web.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	26167   Click image for larger version

Name:	FancyToeStep_web.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	26168  
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #26

We discovered that the person who had our camper converted some of the outlets in our sunseeker to 12 volt. It is very convenient , but you have to put an extension ends on your 12 volts equipment but it is handy you can just plug them straight into wall outlets now.
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #27

I tried to take a photograph to show people here but my wife and I can't figure out how to show that the outlet is 12 volts as it looks the se as the 120 volt ones. Handy none the less.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scofield View Post
I tried to take a photograph to show people here but my wife and I can't figure out how to show that the outlet is 12 volts as it looks the se as the 120 volt ones. Handy none the less.
Not sure what your saying here.
Sure would like to see the photo.

Sent pm.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #29
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
All aftermarket 12 volt outlets are not created equal. Some have very LOW amperage ratings. Make sure the one you choose is not an "accessory" outlet; but a "cigar lighter" rated one.

That will make sure the socket you choose has a high enough amperage rating for the appliance you will be plugging in.

Make SURE the wiring and fusing is also up to the task. The antenna amp fusing and wires are too small for much beyond 5 amps DC.

The max voltage supported is 8 amps DC on the OEM wall plate connector.
Use the blue seas outlets. They are rated to 15 amps.

12 Volt Dash Socket - Blue Sea Systems

Make sure you use the right gauge wire if you come close to that amp draw and have a long run of wire.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Not sure what your saying here.
Sure would like to see the photo.

Sent pm.

Turbs

When we got the camper the owner left us some things like an air pump and a cb radio and also he left us a cord that had a cigarette lighter socket (female) on one end that has a normal extension cord end (male) on the other end. He told us that if we ever needed more 12 volts that he had "split" (not sure how) the standard electrical wall outlet in the bedroom so that the bottom part of it was 12 volts and that my wife and I could plug that adapter into the wall outlet for 12 volts. I will take a picture of the adapter and email it to turbo so he can post it.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
When we got the camper the owner left us some things like an air pump and a cb radio and also he left us a cord that had a cigarette lighter socket (female) on one end that has a normal extension cord end (male) on the other end. He told us that if we ever needed more 12 volts that he had "split" (not sure how) the standard electrical wall outlet in the bedroom so that the bottom part of it was 12 volts and that my wife and I could plug that adapter into the wall outlet for 12 volts. I will take a picture of the adapter and email it to turbo so he can post it.
Sure hope you don't make a mistake and plug your 12v cord into a 110v outlet. Something is going to smoke. This sounds like a very dangerous thing to do, and believe me, it would never pass code.

Just my opinion
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #32
Denver, CO

Quote:
Really really bad idea. Solution is to take these outlets apart, return them to 110v and move the 12 volt wire that is there to an adjacent 12 volt plug that you can install, if you want 12 volt at that location.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Solution is to take these outlets apart, return them to 110v and move the 12 volt wire that is there to an adjacent 12 volt plug that you can install, if you want 12 volt at that location.
X2. This 'special' adapter sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #34

Well I'd never heard of anything like this but the previous owner seemed to be quite knowledgeable - still trying to figure out the picture.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #35

The previous owner was a hack. What he did should never be done. It is dangerous and could damage 12v as well as 120v items.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
The previous owner was a hack. What he did should never be done. It is dangerous and could damage 12v as well as 120v items.
C'mon tell us what you really think.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Agree,Now,(CUT THAT EX CORD HE MADE UP IN SMALL PCS>) and throw in trash!! Shame on a person (HACK) for doing that> Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote