Old 10-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #1

12 volt power shut off near Battery.

Wanting to install a main 12 volt shut off swtich on the negative line leading to the frame. I cant store my camper with a shore line hooked up all the time. Items inside stay on all the time running the battery down.
Can this be installed without issues??
I have a 2013 WC 282RKX.

Thanks

RV there yet!
Tim966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

Typically it's installed on the positive just after the battery. Why were you thinking of doing the negative?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

I think the problem with that is that your emergency breakaway brakes won't work if that switch is disconnected, and you will probably forget about that.

If you can put it in the positive lead for the majority of items, but leave the breakaway switch hot, that would be better.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

I dont have one on this camper. My Nomad did, it was under the sink. I just saw some sites that said hook up to neg. line. Just checking.

RV there yet!
Tim966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim966 View Post
Wanting to install a main 12 volt shut off swtich on the negative line leading to the frame. I cant store my camper with a shore line hooked up all the time. Items inside stay on all the time running the battery down.
Can this be installed without issues??
I have a 2013 WC 282RKX.

Thanks
In reality it makes no difference at all if you break the positive or the ground. You need both to complete the circuit. People normally break the positive but that's not in stone also. Which ever is easier it will work
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I think the problem with that is that your emergency breakaway brakes won't work if that switch is disconnected, and you will probably forget about that.

If you can put it in the positive lead for the majority of items, but leave the breakaway switch hot, that would be better.
Some trailers are connected directly to the battery bypassing the disconnect. It depends on the unit. They seem to all be different. Pretty easy to tell. Remove the positive lead and leave the rest on that is connected. Pull your break away and see if it locks up.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Some trailers are connected directly to the battery bypassing the disconnect. It depends on the unit. They seem to all be different. Pretty easy to tell. Remove the positive lead and leave the rest on that is connected. Pull your break away and see if it locks up.
So you're suggesting that there is a separate negative battery connection to the brake magnets and be can disconnect the battery from the frame and the brakes will still work?
Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
So you're suggesting that there is a separate negative battery connection to the brake magnets and be can disconnect the battery from the frame and the brakes will still work?
He can wire in a disconnect from the main ground as long as he leaves the brake ground to the battery connected. That's the way my 5er is wired and also the 08 Flagstaff 831RLSS was wired.

Some trailers have an independent 12 v battery for the emergency brakes.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes I am negative is still a ground. If it is not a ground then how can your meter read 12v going across pos to neg ? Are you trying to say that there is not a wire from the negative post to the frame?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 10-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Are you trying to say that there is not a wire from the negative post to the frame?
I'm saying that if he puts a battery disconnect in that wire there will not be (when it's disconnected by the switch).

Tim966, may I suggest that, whether you put the disconnect switch on the positive or negative side, that you leave a path for the circuit that powers your emergency breakaway brakes so they are not affected by your new switch.

Tags
12 volt, battery, power