Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #1

12 Volt questions

As some of you may have gathered from my other recent posts, I'm a total PUP newbie. So here are two pretty simple questions.
Are the interior electrical outlets on my 2006 Rockwood 1640 supposed to work on 12volt? Mine only work on 120. The lights, heater etc.. work on 12v but not the outlets.
Is there a way to shut down the entire 12v system when it's not in use?

Thanks
D Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #2

On newer RV's you have two systems. 12VDC which operates about everything. And 120VAC which can run the refer, AC unit if you have one and the standard household looking outlets. Many RV's have a battery disconnect switch. I do not remember ever seeing one on a tent trailer though. There is no reason you could not add one though. I guess I have to ask, why do you want to kill the 12 volt side? I leave my trailer plugged in at home all the time. Keeps the battery fully charged and ready to go.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

No particular reason, just wondering.
So it's ok to keep it plugged it all the time?
Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Porter
No particular reason, just wondering.
So it's ok to keep it plugged it all the time?
Thanks for the reply.
Mine is plugged in 24/7 365 .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Site Team

as was said, the outlets are 120v and only work when plugged into shore power or into a generator.

a battery disconnect switch is one of the most popular mods for a lot of us.
i don't see the need, especially for a popup, to keep it plugged into shore power, when it's just sitting at home.
a disconnect switch will prevent the batteries from depleting and you don't have to pay the cost of electricity to keep them charged.

i store my Roo for 4 months with the batteries disconnected. when i picked it up to bring home, the batteries were at 75%.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Site Team

as was said, the outlets are 120v and only work when plugged into shore power or into a generator.

a battery disconnect switch is one of the most popular mods for a lot of us.
i don't see the need, especially for a popup, to keep it plugged into shore power, when it's just sitting at home.
a disconnect switch will prevent the batteries from depleting and you don't have to pay the cost of electricity to keep them charged.

i stored my Roo for 4 months with the batteries disconnected by the switch. when i picked it up to bring home, the batteries were still at 75%.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #7

Thanks for the info guys. I might add the switch after I get my fixit list whittled down. Almost got all the small stuff taken care of. The fridge is the big issue.

Thanks again.

Tags
12 volt