Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Just keep in mind that a generator that inexpensive is going to be very noisy so may be quite annoying to any neighbors you have if it's on for long.
Barry, I think you hit the nail on the head here. It is pretty loud and would be annoying even for 5 or 10 minutes. Back to the store it goes!

Thank you all for your thoughts on this.

James.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #12

If your looking for a quiet generator...the Honda EU series is near whisper quiet. Of course you pay for that quiet running volume. The EU2000 which might suit your purposes depending on the wattage of your mixrowave will set you back about $1K retail. Inverter generators are the way to go for noise level and fuel savings as well as clean and "home grade" power. But I'm sure like the rest of us $$$ is always a factor.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
If your looking for a quiet generator...the Honda EU series is near whisper quiet. Of course you pay for that quiet running volume. The EU2000 which might suit your purposes depending on the wattage of your mixrowave will set you back about $1K retail. Inverter generators are the way to go for noise level and fuel savings as well as clean and "home grade" power. But I'm sure like the rest of us $$$ is always a factor.
If I was going to be using a generator a lot during the season, I'd spend the hard earned cash for better and quiet. As it is, we would only end up using it a couple days of the season (so I say now).
I will keep an eye out for inverter generator going n sale anywhere near me. Thanks for the info!

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #14

I can appreciate the quietness of EU units. I even owned one before it took a permanent nap on me after only a few months use. However, price wise they are out of a lot RVers affordability range. I see quite a few generators every week. The less expensive, not as quiet ones out number the others a good 5-1. With most campground regulations saying "no generators" which includes the quiet ones, during quiet time, it's almost a moot point what a camper uses. If you are out boon docking, then all bets are off anyways on which one to use. Boon docking and generator noise go hand in hand with each other. I use a modified Harbor Freight 3500/4000 that is just as quiet as those Generacs that are built into motor homes. It cost me about $150 extra to modify the exhaust, and build a dog house with noise suppression qualities, but $450 is a lot better than $1000, to get the extra amperage for the same dB noise rating. My "modified cheapie" has been going strong for 3+ years now with no issues. No malice intended. Just a different idea, and opinion.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
I can appreciate the quietness of EU units. I even owned one before it took a permanent nap on me after only a few months use. However, price wise they are out of a lot RVers affordability range. I see quite a few generators every week. The less expensive, not as quiet ones out number the others a good 5-1. With most campground regulations saying "no generators" which includes the quiet ones, during quiet time, it's almost a moot point what a camper uses. If you are out boon docking, then all bets are off anyways on which one to use. Boon docking and generator noise go hand in hand with each other. I use a modified Harbor Freight 3500/4000 that is just as quiet as those Generacs that are built into motor homes. It cost me about $150 extra to modify the exhaust, and build a dog house with noise suppression qualities, but $450 is a lot better than $1000, to get the extra amperage for the same dB noise rating. My "modified cheapie" has been going strong for 3+ years now with no issues. No malice intended. Just a different idea, and opinion.
Nice! If you can modify a traditional model with a large muffler it's usually a winner. However there are some other considerations. Traditional generators don't put out the cleanest power, it's not as bad as a cheap modified sine wave inverter but it's not the smoothest waveform either... If you intend to use any kind of sensitive electronics, an inverter generator (by a reputable manufacturer) is the way to go. But every user needs to make this decision for themselves. There are literally a hundred combinations and uses for a generator when camping.

I wanted to buy (or build) a 12V generator for boon docking. I finally found one made in Australia...for $1200 O.O An A/C generator makes much more sense for that amount. But I'd like to see the industry build us something about the size of a small EU unit that is a 12V generator with electric start and a voltage sensing function. The voltage drops below 12.0V the generator fires up... Once the voltage hits 14.0 it shuts off.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
Pictures and details would be nice. I have posted one solution that make a 2000i essentially silent and usable anywhere. A set of details on quieting a niosier generator would be awesome for with with them.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #17

A walker muffler # 18136, available from most auto parts stores, and a few $ worth of pipe fittings from home depot/lowes will significantly quite down the noisy, construction grade generators.

Tags
generator