Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #1

1200W / 15 amp Generator okay to use?

We have the 2014 Surveyor Cadet 192T and just bought a small generator (on sale for $200.00). It won't be that often at all that we will be dry camping (at least the whole family) so I just wanted something small and portable.

The ad for the generator had it down as 1200W / 5-20 amp, but after I got it home, oil added and such, I noticed on the front by the plug that it was 5-15 amp.

I know that even at 20 amp, we would not be able to run the AC (not what we wanted it for), but we mainly needed it for the microwave and my wifes curling iron in the morning.

Will we be okay with a 15 amp generator or will it cause damage?
Also, will the generator charge the battery for the trailer while running?

Thanks for any information, James.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here's some handy info for you.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aws-17300.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130909_105908.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	39472

Imo you may not be able to run the microwave especially if the converter is running as you only have about 10 amps available.
Is it 1200 running watts or surge amps?
Look at the thread I posted for you to get an idea.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

All I can relay to you is that I used a 1000/1200 watt (8+/-amps) genny on my Dutchman 31K for several months while doing some EPA work out in the middle of no where. It did keep the batteries charged for the most part, and I did run my TV/DISH system in the evenings. Probably ran some other low amperage stuff like cell phone chargers, etc...No A/C, or Microwave. I had made up a short cord (6') that plugged into the genny's 110 outlet on one end, and into my trailer's 30 amp receptacle on the other. I did check with the manufacturer before doing this, and they had no problem with it. That was 3 years ago, and I have had no electrical issues before, or after that. Also I found out when talking with the Dutchman people that I could plug into a 50 amp service, but my trailer would only use 30 amps of the 50 amps available.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I think the 1200 is startup, but then running it drops down to I think 1000W.

I did hook it up for a few minutes to test, then thought after the fact, "I hope I didn't screw things up on the trailer if it is only 15 amp". The microwave did run (heated a cup of water) and you could hear the Gen rev down and up while the microwave was in use.

My main concern is if it will hurt the electical of the trailer using the 15 amp Generator. Most times we will always have power hookups as a family trip, just the odd time when I am playing a music jamboree and camping without hookups that I would need the generator for a short time (maybe bit more if my wife is with me ... and her curling iron).

Thank you for your thoughts, James.

2014 Surveyor 192T
Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #5

Hey thanks for the link Turbs! You even had the curling iron listed LOL
Curling Iron <1 Amp

2014 Surveyor 192T
Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Site Team

i seriously doubt you'll be able to run the microwave with that small of a generator. all RV microwaves i've seen, need a minimum of a 1800-2000w generator.

pretty much all that yours is good for, is recharging the batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i seriously doubt you'll be able to run the microwave with that small of a generator. all RV microwaves i've seen, need a minimum of a 1800-2000w generator.

pretty much all that yours is good for, is recharging the batteries.
Thanks Dan. I did do a quick test with it to see, and it did run the microwave, granted just for 20 seconds or so (with a cup or water in the microwave) before I shut off the MW.

My concern is more with doing harm to the trailer with it only being 15 amp. I'm thinking after doing some reading that I won't do harm, just will not be able to run a lot of things at one time, which I am fine with.

James.

2014 Surveyor 192T
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #8

The answer is somewhat of a grey area. Simple answer is yes it can. Anytime a load exceeds the output of a power source it causes voltage drop. This is a brown out. It can cause the small wiring inside of equipment to exceed it's amperage rating because as voltage decrease load increases to attempt to fill the void in wattage. Generally we trip breakers before this happens. However your generator is of a lower output than would trip a 15A breaker (about 1800W). You microwave is likely (I can't be certain without looking) in the 1000W range for running wattage. This means the generator is maxed out to keep up assuming it can at all.

Long term this could cause damage to the electronic controls and elements of the microwave. If the micro is under the max running watts than you could be okay. Curling iron I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what the wattage is. As another poster said, this is a good generator for running your battery charger on board your rig from. However if you insist upon using it, (AND understand this is risky) turn the breakers off to EVERYTHING else. Your charger and fridge are silent absorbers of wattage and will further escalate the effects of voltage drop.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of taking it back and either getting a bigger one, or none at all. We wouldn't really use it all that much. But I did have a thought if I decided to keep it. I could always just run a cord from the generator in to the trailer to plug the little things in that my wife wants to use now and then. No real need to run it through the trailer system at all as far as I can see.

2014 Surveyor 192T
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #10

Just keep in mind that a generator that inexpensive is going to be very noisy so may be quite annoying to any neighbors you have if it's on for long.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Just keep in mind that a generator that inexpensive is going to be very noisy so may be quite annoying to any neighbors you have if it's on for long.
Barry, I think you hit the nail on the head here. It is pretty loud and would be annoying even for 5 or 10 minutes. Back to the store it goes!

Thank you all for your thoughts on this.

James.

2014 Surveyor 192T
Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #12

If your looking for a quiet generator...the Honda EU series is near whisper quiet. Of course you pay for that quiet running volume. The EU2000 which might suit your purposes depending on the wattage of your mixrowave will set you back about $1K retail. Inverter generators are the way to go for noise level and fuel savings as well as clean and "home grade" power. But I'm sure like the rest of us $$$ is always a factor.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
If your looking for a quiet generator...the Honda EU series is near whisper quiet. Of course you pay for that quiet running volume. The EU2000 which might suit your purposes depending on the wattage of your mixrowave will set you back about $1K retail. Inverter generators are the way to go for noise level and fuel savings as well as clean and "home grade" power. But I'm sure like the rest of us $$$ is always a factor.
If I was going to be using a generator a lot during the season, I'd spend the hard earned cash for better and quiet. As it is, we would only end up using it a couple days of the season (so I say now).
I will keep an eye out for inverter generator going n sale anywhere near me. Thanks for the info!

2014 Surveyor 192T
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #14

I can appreciate the quietness of EU units. I even owned one before it took a permanent nap on me after only a few months use. However, price wise they are out of a lot RVers affordability range. I see quite a few generators every week. The less expensive, not as quiet ones out number the others a good 5-1. With most campground regulations saying "no generators" which includes the quiet ones, during quiet time, it's almost a moot point what a camper uses. If you are out boon docking, then all bets are off anyways on which one to use. Boon docking and generator noise go hand in hand with each other. I use a modified Harbor Freight 3500/4000 that is just as quiet as those Generacs that are built into motor homes. It cost me about $150 extra to modify the exhaust, and build a dog house with noise suppression qualities, but $450 is a lot better than $1000, to get the extra amperage for the same dB noise rating. My "modified cheapie" has been going strong for 3+ years now with no issues. No malice intended. Just a different idea, and opinion.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
I can appreciate the quietness of EU units. I even owned one before it took a permanent nap on me after only a few months use. However, price wise they are out of a lot RVers affordability range. I see quite a few generators every week. The less expensive, not as quiet ones out number the others a good 5-1. With most campground regulations saying "no generators" which includes the quiet ones, during quiet time, it's almost a moot point what a camper uses. If you are out boon docking, then all bets are off anyways on which one to use. Boon docking and generator noise go hand in hand with each other. I use a modified Harbor Freight 3500/4000 that is just as quiet as those Generacs that are built into motor homes. It cost me about $150 extra to modify the exhaust, and build a dog house with noise suppression qualities, but $450 is a lot better than $1000, to get the extra amperage for the same dB noise rating. My "modified cheapie" has been going strong for 3+ years now with no issues. No malice intended. Just a different idea, and opinion.
Nice! If you can modify a traditional model with a large muffler it's usually a winner. However there are some other considerations. Traditional generators don't put out the cleanest power, it's not as bad as a cheap modified sine wave inverter but it's not the smoothest waveform either... If you intend to use any kind of sensitive electronics, an inverter generator (by a reputable manufacturer) is the way to go. But every user needs to make this decision for themselves. There are literally a hundred combinations and uses for a generator when camping.

I wanted to buy (or build) a 12V generator for boon docking. I finally found one made in Australia...for $1200 O.O An A/C generator makes much more sense for that amount. But I'd like to see the industry build us something about the size of a small EU unit that is a 12V generator with electric start and a voltage sensing function. The voltage drops below 12.0V the generator fires up... Once the voltage hits 14.0 it shuts off.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #16
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
Pictures and details would be nice. I have posted one solution that make a 2000i essentially silent and usable anywhere. A set of details on quieting a niosier generator would be awesome for with with them.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #17

A walker muffler # 18136, available from most auto parts stores, and a few $ worth of pipe fittings from home depot/lowes will significantly quite down the noisy, construction grade generators.
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator