Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #1

120v stopped working on 2017 Vibe 268 RKS

Just returned from 4k trip. Plugged in to house 120v (just to charge batteries and run refrig.) and it does not seem to work. Refrig light does not go on and outlets do not work (hair dryer used to test). The light on my 50amp circuit analyzer shows 120v going in ... but nothing inside seems to work. I flipped the main breakers but that did not help. With the inverter on the refrig runs. Any suggestions on what to trouble shoot next? Thanks.

Steve
TxPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #2

Check GFI outlets to see if one popped
Old 04-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Does your "50amp circuit analyzer" show any error codes?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #4

120v problem

I pushed the gfi (the only one I could find in the bathroom) and it "popped". Pushed multiple times and it didn't seem to reset. Not sure how it is supposed to work.

Also, no error codes on the 50amp analyzer. just shows the 120v is active.

I checked from the house with a volt meter and it it fine. I used the volt meter inside and get nothing.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Exactly what is this "50 amp circuit analyzer'?

Where is it located and what does it test?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #6

I have attached pic of my voltage protector/analyzer. It was not connected at time of pic (inverter was on). When in use it shows one light for 120v and no error codes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	169835  
Old 04-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #7

Sorry ... didn't answer all of the question. It is in-line before being plugged into the trailer. It tests voltage and checks for errors.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #8

I checked each point with a volt meter from the house up through the 50amp analyzer and each shows 120 v. Electricity is flowing up to the trailer plug.

The GFI will not reset. Nothing happens when I press either button. I have been told that happens if there is no electricity to the GFI. Bad GFI? I guess my next step is to pull the GFI and see if it is getting any juice.

Other suggestions?

thanks.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Is the house circuit protected by a GFCI? Some GFCIs do not like to work if they are in series. Also try turning all breakers in the unit off then on then try resetting GFCI again. They will not reset without power.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #10

Thanks for your service Flybob. I was there in Tet 68.

I moved to a different home outlet with no GFI. (Although I have used the same outlet for the past year and have not had a problem.) No change. Turned off all the breakers, turned them back on and the GFI will still not reset.

Pulling my hair out. Supposed to take grandkids camping in a week. I'm sure that there is no way that the dealer can help me by then.

I guess I'll swap out the GFI. Although I just might be wasting my time.

thanks again,

Steve
Old 04-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #11

take it one step at a time. can you use a voltmeter? safely? what is the voltage coming out of the circuit analyzer? can it be taken out of the circuit? (ie unplug it) is your shore power cord detachable? if you detach it from the trailer does it have proper voltage at the end that would plug into the trailer? if so plug it in and go to the distribution panel and test the voltage going into the main breakers. if you say nothing works it has to be somewhere in the electrical path from the garage receptacle to the main breakers in the trailer. people have reported problems with loose, unconnected, or charred wires in this path, especially on the trailer side of the shore power receptacle. take it slow and check each and every place this input power travels and makes a connection of some type.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:31 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxPet View Post
I pushed the gfi (the only one I could find in the bathroom) and it "popped". Pushed multiple times and it didn't seem to reset. Not sure how it is supposed to work.
You said that the GFCI 'Popped' when you pressed the reset button. Were you pressing the 'test' or 'reset' button?

If it was the 'reset' button does it pop every time you press the reset button?

Quote:
The GFI will not reset. Nothing happens when I press either button. I have been told that happens if there is no electricity to the GFI. Bad GFI? I guess my next step is to pull the GFI and see if it is getting any juice.
In this post you say that now it doesn't do anything. Check power at the main breaker in the power panel. If you don't get anything you may have an issue at the power receptacle in the side wall.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #13

GFI is a red herring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktvaughan View Post
Check GFI outlets to see if one popped
The GFI is a red herring. The OP said there was NO 120v in the unit, but usually only SOME of the outlets are on GFI (bathroom, kitchen counter, and outside).

A better strategy would be to take the cover off the converter and see if there is 120 v between each (any) breaker screw and the white neutral bus. If there's none, it's a cord/connector problem (or that little junction box under the trailer where the cord terminates). I don't believe the OP has reported on testing voltage at the breakers.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #14

Maybe this is too basic, but we just had a similar problems this weekend. I assumed that the 30 amp power cord plugged into the TT was fine (it's been used for quite a while) and it wasn't til I was totally frustrated with troubleshooting that I unscrewed the cord at the TT and tried to unplug it that I found the cord totally fried and the outlet melted.

We had plugged into an exterior house outlet with an adapter. It is a dedicated circuit to that outlet as we have used it over the years to hook up our various RVs when needed.

The first thing we noticed when we were in the trailer last week cleaning up was a small fan we had plugged in to air out the trailer (just after we turned the fridge on) was that the fan would speed up and slow down randomly. We thought nothing of it but decided it best to unplug the cord from the house before closing up for the night. The next morning all of the circuit breakers were tripped. We reset the circuits and also reset the house circuit as well. The microwave clock came back on and we went on our way cleaning. Later in the day the microwave clock was no longer on and none of the outlets functioned. We reset the GFCIs, the breakers, got out the voltage meter and started testing. After a few frustrating hours I decided to get very basic an unplug everything and reattach one at a time...then found the cord.

We're not sure just yet what caused the original problem. This is the first time we have plugged this RV into the house outlet but we used it for years with our other RVs. I will say this FR TT has more bells and whistles, but nothing except the fridge and that little fan was running. On the same note, we have contacted an electrician and will be having a 30 amp RV outlet installed in the garage wall just for the RV.

Lesson we learned is that safety systems are there for a reason and I needed to be reminded that they are an indication of something serious, to keep looking until it's found, and could have very unfortunate outcomes. I can still smell the burnt wires...could have been so much worse.
briteday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Just returned from 4k trip. Plugged in to house 120v (just to charge batteries and run refrig.) and it does not seem to work. Refrig light does not go on and outlets do not work (hair dryer used to test). The light on my 50amp circuit analyzer shows 120v going in ... but nothing inside seems to work. I flipped the main breakers but that did not help. With the inverter on the refrig runs. Any suggestions on what to trouble shoot next? Thanks.

Steve
Steve, can I ask some more questions? Is the display on for the microwave (if equipped). The reason for this question is the microwave is usually on a separate circuit than the outlets. Your fridge could also be on the same circuit as the outlets (I would hope not but you never know).

I'm trying to determine if you have actual failure of the entire 120 volt system, or just a circuit or two.

For the pic of the 50 amp analyzer (as you call it), I will assume you have a 50 amp RV and are using some kind of adapter to be able to plug it into a regular 120 volt outlet at your house? What kind of adapter are you using (a pic would help) and are you also using a regular extension cord from the adapter to the house outlet.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I once had a power loss like that, that frustrated me for hours. Turns out the power cord to the trailer was bad. After 5 years of usage, something must have given. Replaced it with a new cord and all was good. So, if you want to learn from my mistake, and not spend hours spinning your wheels trying to figure this out, then personally, I would start at the house, and then work your way down the lines testing each step of the way to validate where you lose power. Check things in this order:

1) Do you have power from the house?
2) Do you have power through your adapter?
3) Do you have power through your surge protector/analyzer?
4) Do you have power through your cord?

Now, here's the part I'm not sure which order these go, as I don't have a rig with an inverter, but next items are:

5) Do you have power at the distribution panel?
6) Do you have power at your transfer switch (having mentioned you have an inverter, I assume you also have a transfer switch involved).

Working your way along the line of power this way, you hopefully should be able quickly find where it's lost. The mistake I made last time was that I was jumping around trying to find it, and spinning my wheels. If I had logically traced it, I would have found that bad cord way sooner than I did.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #17

Quote:

Also, no error codes on the 50amp analyzer. just shows the 120v is active.

I checked from the house with a volt meter and it it fine. I used the volt meter inside and get nothing.
There are 2 buttons on a GFI. one to test and one to reset. you pushed the test button and it popped. that tells me it has power. Now push the reset button.

If that does not work. Go outside top you shore power connection. Unplug and look at the connections and test for power there. Plug it in and be sure to turn it to the right and install the locking ring.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibe