Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #1

12V Breaker - Short

I have a 2010 Heritage Glen 312 QBUD. I am somewhat capable, but my knowledge of electricity is very poor.

One of the 15amp circuits has a short. The circuit is identified as "LTS" so I believe that this powers lights.

After I noticed the blown fuse, I tried to replace it with a new fuse, there was an arc when the fuse contacted the spades, and the new fuse blew as well.

I used a VOM to check the voltage across the circuit and it reads 13.25V.

There are only two lights that do not work in the camper, so I assume that one of these is the problem.

Is it possible that the circuit powers only two lights? If so, how can I pinpoint which is bad and is pulling new wires a logical option?

Thank you in advance for help.
HarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Site Team

It sounds like you have a dead short. You can check the lights to see if any wires are touching. Bad bulbs generally do not produce shorts. My guess is there is a shorted wire. These are not simple to locate. Could be a staple or screw through a wire. Have you added any screws etc? If you can get to the light fixtures, check to see that no wires are touching. If LED lights if they have a way to disconnect module, try that to determine if one is shorted. Most likely a dealer fix and probably not a quick one although I hope not. Is the RV new to you? Did the lights ever work?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #3

Thank you Flybob. The lights are not LEDs, and they used to work. One is an overhead light mounted in the outside kitchen and the other is an inside fixture in the rear bunkhouse.

I have not drilled any holes or added screws/staples, or anything that could have cut a wire.

The television in the rear bunkhouse did fall during transit, and it pulled the tv antenna connection plate away from the wall. The Winegard plate has three coaxial connections and two spade connections, as well as a small button that needs to be pushed to activate the tv antenna.

Could this have 12v power?

If not, how hard is it to access the back of the breaker panel? I was thinking that if I could see how many wires connected to this circuit, I could make a better guess at what needs to be replaced.

Again, thanks for your help.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryG View Post
Is it possible that the circuit powers only two lights? If so, how can I pinpoint which is bad and is pulling new wires a logical option?
On a 15amp circuit it's highly unlikely that it's only those two lights. Not impossible.. all kinds of squirrely wiring isn't uncommon, but probably not. I would be checking vent fans, fridge, WH, water pump, detectors, awning, tank heaters, slides, and any other 12v devices for current.

More than likely the short is in an actual device or fixture, but it's possible it could be a worn wire shorting. I wouldn't start pulling new wire until the problem has been isolated.

One culprit many don't think about is your WH's relays. If your electric element was fried at one time, it's not uncommon for the thermostat relay to fry as well.

I hope it turns out to be a simple fix for you.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Yes The TV plate on the wall uses 12V power to power the antenna amp. If it pulled the two power wires off ( probably spade lugs) and they are touching you would blow the fuse. I would carefully check that opening. You should see coax and 12V wires in there. Make sure nothing is touching. Also turn the little push button switch off. It powers the amp in the ant. If it is on and you shorted the coax to the antenna, it will blow the fuse. Think you are in the right spot. Good Luck

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 05-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Spade Lugs on the TV panel reversed?
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #7

I have disconnected all coax cables and spade plugs from the wall plate and the short is still present.

Is there 12V power to the antenna on the roof?

If so is it possible that the antenna was turned too far in one direction and a 12v wire was pulled from its connections, and is now shorting?

I have no idea how to access the wiring to the antenna. I did try removing the hardware that raises/lowers the antenna, but even when removed, there was no access to any wiring.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #8

I don't know if 12 volts goes to the Antenna itself. When the TV fell, did it pull out the TV panel on the wall? If so, I still suspect the wiring associated with that panel to be defective and it might be in the wall.
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryG View Post
Is there 12V power to the antenna on the roof?
Typically, no. Just to the booster box for incoming signals. If your antenna is motorized there may be some additional wiring in there, but it shouldn't have been affected when the TV fell.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
Site Team

The wall plate is a power supply only. It sends 12VDC up the coax to the amplifier in the head of the antenna on the roof. It is unlikely you have an issue in the antenna. I would focus on the wall plate wiring.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #11

Agree with flybob, if everything worked fine before the TV fell off the mount and now you have a dead short, it would seem to me that the problem is at or near the wall plate wiring!!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #12

Could be the wiring under the slide out for the lights I have seen them break from opening and closing slide you might check there.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker